Sample letters to congratulate someone on winning an award or receiving a scholarship or other Congratulations on winning the Employee of the Year Award.
Congratulations Message For Winning The Award: – An award is something given to a man, a gathering of individuals, similar to a games group, or an association in acknowledgment of their brilliance in a specific field. An honor might be joined by trophy, title, declaration, dedicatory plaque, decoration, identification, stick, or lace.
An honor may convey a fiscal prize given to the beneficiary. For instance: the Nobel Prize for commitments to society, or the Pulitzer prize for artistic accomplishments. An honor may likewise basically be an open affirmation of magnificence, with no unmistakable token or prize of brilliance.
Honors can be given by any individual or organization, despite the fact that the distinction of a honor more often than not relies upon the status of the granted. For the most part, grants are given by an association or something to that effect, or by the workplace of an authority inside an association or government.
For example, an uncommon presidential reference (as given by the President of the United States) is an open declaration giving an official place of respect (e.g., President Ronald Reagan gave an exceptional presidential reference in 1984 to the Disney Channel for its great youngsters’ TV programming.)
In any case, there are exemptions like some quality marks, for which it is neither individual nor associations that are compensated, yet items. This is the situation for the World Quality Selections composed by Monde Selection. These worldwide honors are appointed to drinks, nourishments, beautifying agents and eating routine items, which emerge for their quality.
Individuals who have won certain lofty honors, for example, the Nobel Prize, a title in a game, or an Academy Award (Oscar), can have the honor turn into their character, from that point being known basically to win the honor, instead of for some other accomplishment or occupation.
 To particularly be arranged as an ‘Honor’, as opposed to some other kind of formal or self-assertive acknowledgment, there ought to be a reasonable procedure of assignments, grant criteria, and proper judging process. By and large, acknowledgment by an arrangement of associates, recognizing the nature of work, as opposed to a ‘notoriety challenge’ is thought to be a credible honor.
At the point when your nearby ones and companions win grants for their accomplishment, it is an exceptionally extraordinary minute for them. Your compliment message to close ones for winning honors offers a reward to their diligent work and endeavors behind the achievement.
Your message influences your companion to feel uncommon and it adds an appeal to the joy. The expressions of the message express your sentiments to him/her and it additionally gives them all the best for the future accomplishments. Wish your companion salutation with a lovely instant message and for the thoughts, you can experience our gathering of praise message tests for the grant. Some samples of congratulation message for award-winning:
1. Your honor is the consequence of your diligent work and endeavors and a valiant soul. You earned your title and it generally helps you to remember your devotion. Give your best dependably. I compliment you for your accomplishments.
2. The way of accomplishment is constantly extreme and the individuals who are constantly prepared to take challenges and have the boldness to prevail upon it, just they are granted for these accomplishments. I compliment you as you have such an identity. Continuously advance throughout everyday life.
3. Honor isn’t for the individuals who just make the most they had always wanted in dozing, yet for the individuals who can’t rest to satisfy their fantasy. I praise you on your prosperity and I want you to enjoy all that life has to offer for the future accomplishment.
4. Living with a desire is extremely troublesome and I compliment you to make this troublesome thing simpler with your engaging personality and an unyielding soul. Never restrict yourself with your lacking, rather break the limits and advance.
5. Today I am cheerful for you as you prevail in your work. The honor you are compensated is for you easy attempting. I wish numerous more honors throughout your life. It is the start of the voyage and bunches of things are yet to accomplish. Salutation for winning this honor.
6. This honor remains solitary gladly seeing your diligent work and devotion. This honor makes you sparkling in middle of names and notoriety. Continue going in your life and accomplish your everything dreams with your diligent work. Praise for your accomplishment.
7. Best worker implies who never surrender, regardless of what the circumstance is; it implies without making a fuss over the outcome put forth a strong effort. My heartiest salutation on your prosperity and you merit the title of the best worker.
8. I simply heard the news that you have been named Miss Oregon! Congrats on winning the hearts of our state. Everybody at home is so glad for you.
9. Congratulations on winning Best Short Story this year! I’m so pleased with you, father. I feel like a portion of my life was spent watching you compose or read, so it about times you at long last get granted for it! Simply joking. We cherish you!
10. Congrats on getting extraordinary acknowledgment for your devotion to our locale. I don’t know anybody more enthusiastic about network benefit than you. You educate our kids and me to be better individuals consistently. I adore you! Make the most of your honor, child!
11. Who is Employee of the Year? YOU ARE. Your family is so delighted and upbeat for you. Here’s to another extraordinary year.
12. Congrats on winning the Best Garden title for your mid-year roses. A portion of my fondest recollections all started in your garden growing up.
13. It’s brilliant to at last observe your diligent work praised. Make the most of your honor and wear your title with respect! Congratulation
14. Congratulations on bringing home the Best Art grant today! It fulfills me so to see you flourish in workmanship class. I have all of the confidence in you that you will just keep on excelling as the years proceed.
15. Congrats on accepting the Perfect Attendance grant! Going to class each and every day isn’t a simple accomplishment, and I review commonly when you felt sick, yet demanded as yet going to class. Despite the fact that you’re not by any means a young person yet, you as of now have the attributes of a genuine champ!
16. I couldn’t be prouder of you for being named Valedictorian. This is an unprecedented honor perceiving an officially phenomenal young lady. I will cry each progression you take over the phase on your graduation day and can’t hold up to film your discourse!
17. My sweetheart grandkid, it is with awesome satisfaction that I compliment you on getting the All-stars grant! Training was dependably a fantasy of mine that I never observed work out as expected, however it conveys satisfaction to my heart to see you accomplish such a great amount at your young age.
18. I’m so glad for you for winning second place at the Honor Competition today around evening time. I know it has been hard to return to school, yet observing you be perceived today around evening time helped me to remember how many functions you have put into succeeding. Regardless of on the off chance that you ever win another honor again, you’re generally #1 at home.
19. Goodness my God, you won! Simply joking, I knew you would. Congratulations on bringing home the best New Invention grant today around evening time. Can hardly wait to see you win again when you show at the state tradition one month from now!
20. Congrats on winning the Best New Poetry grant! You’ve been turning rhymes since I initially met you in third grade, so I am not astounded at all by your win. Bear in mind about me when you’re super popular!
21. My child, I have been your greatest fan since you initially tossed a toy at me when you were an infant. Seeing you win the honor for Best Pitcher today around evening time was the proudest snapshot of my life. You will develop into the best baseball pitcher any class has ever observed.
22. Congrats on winning regionals! The majority of your training and teaching is paying off, sweetheart. I can hardly wait to see you contend in nationals one month from now. Bring home the gold!
23. Congrats on winning the Best Cheerleader grant! You bring your An amusement each time you cheer and haven’t missed a solitary diversion. The whole group and our school are thankful to you for endless excitement and devotion.
24. You swam like a fish at the opposition today! Congrats on winning ahead of all comers. In another life, you have probably been a dolphin. Keep doing awesome!
25. Well done on being named the Best Wrestler for our district! It is difficult to reliably perform with fixation and perseverance. You get past each match not at all like anybody I’ve seen previously and still need to go eat burgers a short time later. You’re an advanced wonder!
26. It has been a delight training you this year and seeing your change and quality. You’re the most grounded quarterback our school has found in decades. Congratulations on accepting the Best Athlete grant for this school year. Our group, school, and area are hugely appreciative to you for making all of us glad each amusement you play.
27. I’m thrilled to the point that you were named the Employee of the Year. It’s extraordinary to see somebody in our specialty win.
28. Congrats on being named the Salesperson of the Year! I don’t know anybody that works harder than you. Our deals have been off the graph this year as a result of you, once more, so appreciate this honor and keep doing awesome!
29. Congrats from our entire office for accepting the Best Manager of the Year grant. Presently corporate at long last observes what the greater part of your workers has known for quite a long time – you truly are the best supervisor ever!
30. WE WON! Congrats to every one of you for your magnanimous commitment to your activity. Because of the endeavors of your partners, our group has been named Best Team for the whole quarter. How about we keep doing awesome again next quarter!
31. It is with extraordinary delight that I praise you on accepting the Quality Star grant for this previous year. I’m profoundly grateful for your commitment to continually giving astounding support of our clients. I have no uncertainty you will keep on receiving acknowledgment for being a star worker consistently.
32. May the present achievement be the start of tomorrow’s accomplishments. Congrats!
33. I am pleased with you. You have achieved a considerable measure. I anticipate seeing much more favors come to you later on.
34. We have Congrats on this glad date! Keep in mind forget that you are more valiant than you accept, more grounded than you appear and more quick-witted than you might suspect!
35. How frequently do I need to let you know? Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!
36. Congrats – not only to graduate with a graduate degree but rather for at last turning into the ace of your own fate.
37. Congrats. I knew the record would remain until the point when it was broken.
38. Congrats on scripting the primary section of your example of overcoming adversity. Continue composing greater, brighter things.
39. Your tirelessness and you’re beyond any doubt confidence in your capacity have driven you to progress. Congrats!
40. A modest heavenly attendant sent from above. has come to fill your hearts with affection! Congrats!
41. Wishing all of you the wellbeing, and satisfaction on the planet, on your birthday.
42. Congrats, you have a comical inclination. Furthermore, to the individuals who didn’t: Go stick your head in the mud.
43. It’s only single word, however, it entireties up what I need to express. Congrats!
44. Congrats! Today is your day. You’re headed toward extraordinary spots. You’re off and away, Congrats for your awesome triumph! You merit it each piece! Go for the stars.
45. The future has a place with the individuals who trust in their excellence they had always wanted. Congrats on your graduation.
46. Appreciate this time. Life is an experience, and you are living it well!
47. You generally satisfy the desires of the general population around you. We expected your prosperity and here you have made it! Well done!
48. The way of accomplishment is constantly intense and the individuals who are constantly prepared to take challenges and have the boldness to prevail upon it, just they are granted for these accomplishments. I salute you as you have such an identity. Continuously advance throughout everyday life.
49. This is an excellent time in your life that you will always remember. The introduction of your kid is something that progressions you uncertainly.
50. Today I am glad for you as you prevail in your work. The honor you are compensated is for you easy attempting. I wish numerous more honors throughout your life. It is the start of the excursion and loads of things are yet to accomplish.
51. We should commend your prosperity! Expecting for a major gathering in transit! Keep breaking your own records! Well done!
Award Winner Congratulations, Congratulation Message For Achievement, Congratulation Message For Award Winning, Congratulation Message For Getting Award, Congratulation Message For Winner, Congratulation Message to Boss For Getting Award, Congratulations Images, Congratulations Message For Award in School, Congratulations Message For Getting an Award, Congratulations Message For Receiving an Award, Congratulations Message For The Winner, Congratulations Message For Winning The Award, Congratulations Message For Winning The Competition, Congratulations Message For Winning The dance Competition, Congratulations Message to Receive an Award, Congratulations Messages, Congratulations on Winning Award Message, Congratulations on Winning Award Quotes, Congratulations SMS For Winning Award, Congratulations Wishes For Winning Award, Free Congratulations Images, Sample Congratulations Message For Winning a Prize, Sample Congratulations Message For Winning an Award, Sample Congratulatory Message For Winning an Award, Wishes For Award Winner Quotes
Congratulations for achievement, a job well done quotes, for a hard work, success or victory.
Sending a congratulations letter or note to someone about their accomplishments on a project lets him or her know that all that hard work has made an impact, and a positive impression on the people they work with. A well-written letter will really make this person’s day so read on for tips on how to craft a great one. You can also review two examples of congratulations letters written specifically for accomplishments at work.
All too often, employees work tirelessly on a project, and when it’s complete, they just keep going on to the next with no recognition or appreciation. Although congratulating an employee isn’t mandatory it’s a good thing to do. Make it a point to mark even the small achievements with congratulations and thanks.
Your employees will appreciate knowing that their accomplishments don’t go unnoticed. That feeling of being appreciated with go a long way toward work satisfaction, and happy employees are much more likely to give their best efforts. A well-written congratulations letter is a nice investment on your part.
When sending a congratulations letter, you have the choice of sending it via email or postal service. Both methods have their strong points, but neither is the right or wrong way to do it.
An email note is quick and conveys your feelings immediately, in the moment of accomplishment. The recipient is rewarded with instant gratification for a job well done. In addition, with an email, you can congratulate a whole team of employees at once if it was a group effort.
Sending your letter through the postal service will slow it down a day or two, but can bring with it the caring, personal, and tangible expression of a handwritten note. The card or note can become a nice memento of your appreciation.
Another option is to send a formal business letter of congratulations, which is appropriate for filing for later use in a portfolio or as an endorsement for employment. In this case, the congratulatory letter becomes a useful business document.
If you’re going to send the congratulations by email, put “Congratulations” or “Thank You” and the title of the project in the subject line. That way your employee will be sure to open the email right away.
When sending a card, you can put the date in the upper right-hand corner (if you want to include it) and your salutation on the left, followed by the body of your letter.
A formal typewritten letter should follow business conventions with your address, the address of your employee, and the date on the left side.
However, you choose to convey your congratulations, be absolutely certain to send it within 24 hours of the completion of the project. Waiting will diminish the impact of your sentiments.
In the body of your letter, you should mention the person’s role in the project, what was accomplished, and express your congratulations on successful completion. Depending on the scope of the project, you can also mention what it will mean to the company at large, or to the department specifically.
There’s no need to write a long letter or get too personal. Keep it succinct and end your letter with an appropriate closing and your name or signature. If you choose to write an email, you can set your email to add your signature automatically.
Here are some examples of congratulations letters you can send to someone who has done excellent work on a project. You may find these examples useful, but be sure to tailor them to your employee’s particular situation.
Congratulations on doing such a great job on developing a new project plan for your group.
The extra time you've been putting in on this has really paid off, and I believe that you have presented an ambitious and attainable set of goals for your team and the company.
Subject: Thank You
Congratulations on the completion of the construction of the new marketing wing of XYZ. I know how much time you put into the plans for the building, and I really appreciate the innovation and attention to detail you brought to the project. We knew you were the right person for the job!
Thank you so much for your and your staff’s hard work. We look forward to future projects with you.
Picking the gift can be the easy part. What should you write in the graduation card? In this post, you’ll find 78 ready to use wishes, messages, quotes, and sentiments, plus tips for customizing what to write in a graduation card. Plus some tips about what to avoid. Let’s get started!
More Reading: 64 Best Gifts for College Students
You’re proud of a special graduate, and congratulations are in order, but what to write in a graduation card? You want to say just the right thing to let your graduate know you wish them well, but you’re not exactly a wordsmith.
So, what do you do? We’ve got the solution for you right here!
Refer to this guide that we’ve organized with 78 quotes from across the web. Whether it’s general well-wishes, funny quotes, personal messages for a family member, or sentimental expressions, we’ve got it covered for you.
78 graduation quotes? Yes, I know – that’s a lot. If you want a shortcut, just choose the one bolded message in each section. These are my favorites and should make the process much faster.
How are your tissue paper skills? Here’s how to properly put tissue paper in a gift bag.
When deciding on what to write in a graduation card, it’s important to think about the graduate’s personality type. You don’t want to write a message that could be taken the wrong way.
One graduate may have a humorous personality and enjoy a funny quote while another may be more serious and appreciate a sentimental note.
Whether you’re attending the commencement ceremony or not has much bearing on your graduation card message. For example, if you are attending the ceremony, your message could be something like this:
If you can’t make it to the ceremony, you can still choose a message that lets the graduate know your thoughts are with them on their special day. For example:
Graduation is an exciting time, but it can also be scary for the graduate as well because he/she is venturing into a whole new chapter of life. If you’re older or more experienced, your message can offer encouraging words to build the graduate up and give them direction.
Your message can be personal and extra special if the graduate is a close friend or relative because you can mention childhood memories or past experiences like this:
Need to fill out a graduation card? Here’s what to write in a graduation card.
1. Don’t be bossy. A graduation card is an opportunity for you to encourage the graduate, so refrain from telling them what they should or shouldn’t do. Give them helpful advice without being bossy.
2. Don’t mention embarrassing memories. A graduate should feel confident and pleased with their accomplishments. Don’t bring up an embarrassing mistake they’ve made in the past.
3. Don’t use sarcasm or risky jokes unless you’re sure the graduate will take it in good humor.
4. Don’t tell the graduate what jobs to take. You may know of job openings or people with influence, but this is not what to write in a graduation card. Save it for another time.
Before you pen your message in the graduation card, handwrite it on paper or type it in a word processor so that you can edit and polish it. You might even go one step further and use a grammar tool, like Grammarly, to get your message just right.
Let the graduate know you are happy and proud of them for doing what it took to reach graduation.
Mention distinguished awards and accomplishments. Describe how much the graduate has grown and flourished over the time you’ve known them.
Mention the name of the graduate’s college or degree that they earned.
Reassure them of their future with encouraging words and wise advice.
Send them off with love and well-wishes for future success and happiness.
Sign off with sincere and heartfelt phrases such as:
Note: Some of the graduation quotes are from/inspired by the following sources: Shutterfly, Greeting Card Poet, Hallmark, Gifts.com, Good Housekeeping, American Greetings, and Leanin’ Tree.
Whether it’s a sibling, child, grandchild, niece or nephew, friend or neighbor, chances are there’s always someone you know who is graduating soon.
Keep this guide of 78 quotes handy, and you’ll never need to worry again about what to write in a graduation card.
Have a tip or graduation message to add? Let us know below!
Well wishes sent in from prominent personalities across the continent. The success of this multi-award-winning airline is a testament of the spirit of.
You’re on graduation wishes, page 1 of 8 graduation wishes, messages and quotes. See related page menu at bottom of this page.
Peruse some graduation wishes for the new graduate. Yes, there’s lots to choose from. But, take a look and see if you find something you like.
Graduation Wishes and Sayings
Now that you’ve graduated it’s now up to you to take that knowledge and do something great with it.
Congratulations! Take some time today to think about what you learned outside the classroom. You’ll probably find that much more valuable than what you learned in it.
With love and pride today and always.
Looks, brains and now a degree? Watch out world – this grad has it all!
Congratulations! Though you may now consider yourself learned, always remember that it’s important to remain a learner. Make learning a lifelong practice.
Graduating is not the end of hard work – it’s just a break before you get into the new and bigger challenges in life. Good luck!
Graduation is a time for celebration, a time of reflection, and a time look ahead. Wishing you a bright future.
I am wishing you a great sense of accomplishment as you celebrate your hard work.
I knew you could do it, and I am proud of you. Congratulations!
I never doubted even for a moment that you would make it. Congratulations for making us proud! You did it!
You’re on the right path to a wonderful life. Congratulations graduate!
It’s clear you’re on the way to the top! Stay humble and remember us normal human beings.
If you’re wondering how the last four years went so fast, you should see how quickly the rest of life flies by. Enjoy this moment. Congratulations.
Just remember that like college, all things that are worth it take time and effort. Continue to follow your dreams.
This site is a resource for friends graduation wishes, family graduation wishes, sister graduation wishes, brother graduation wishes, niece graduation message, nephew graduation greeting, son graduation wishes, daughter graduation wishes, nurses graduation wishes and more. Also, graduation wishes for college and high school.
Hip hip hooray for the graduate!
Congrats on your outstanding achievement!
Graduate to the finer things. Congrats buddy!
May today hold the promise of many great tomorrows!
Proceed with great purpose – but, first take some time to enjoy!
We’re so proud of the woman you’ve become.
A time to remember and a time to celebrate. Let’s get this party started!
An investment in yourself that will pay huge dividends.
Graduation is only the beginning! The sky is the limit!
Oh, the places you’ll go!
Best wishes for your future! Congratulations!
Good luck in all of your endeavors!
Hats off to graduation!
Serious accomplishment; silly hat! You go girl!
31 Grad Party Ideas from BuzzFeed
Congratulations! We are very proud of you.
Congratulations! Your accomplishment and hard work has paid off.
Our pride inside is about to burst. Well done graduate!
Congratulations! You’ve shown that you can be a successful student. Now be sure to continue to be one in every aspect of your life.
Pursue your dreams and reach for the stars! You can do it!
The world ready for someone like you!
Continue to learn as a life learner, and you’ll graduate life successfully.
Be glad, be a grad.
We wish you courage as you steps towards new challenges in your life. Congrats.
You get to wear a funny hat. All your hard work has paid off, and now the hat is yours. Congratulations.
Your most significant learning from college: 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Bam!
You have not only graduated from high school. You have graduated into adulthood. Wishing you the best things in your future to come. Congratulations graduate.
You once had a dream, but today you’re an achiever. Congratulations on this very special graduation day!
You studied hard and showed us how it’s done. Congratulations on your graduation.
We’re so proud of the person you’ve become.
It’s official: you’re now too cool for school!
Your combination of hard work, effort and passion enabled you to fulfill this dream. Congratulations.
Your graduation is a great achievement, but that’s nothing compared to what life has in store for you next with even bigger challenges and opportunities.
Your graduation is a momentous occasion that you will remember for the rest of your life. Congratulations and here’s to the next step!
Your graduation is only a glimpse of what lies ahead in your bright future. Wishing you the very best for the coming years.
Check out our messages for occasions like birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and more.
Dear (fill in name), you have made your family and friends very proud. I wish you the best of luck for the future. Hats off the graduate!
You not only graduated, you did it with flying colors! You’re the best!
Four years have gone by and you just keep getting better.
Good luck in all of your endeavors!
Spread your wings and fly!
You’ll be graduating to the finer things!
Graduation is only the beginning
It’s a time to learn, grow, and share. Congrats!
Today is your day, graduate!
Today we celebrate your achievement!
Welcome to the working world!
You’re now hotter by one degree!
Now this is the part where you find out who you are.
Shoot for the moon!
Success will be yours!
The future awaits!
Looking forward to the future
Never forget your alma mater.
Pursue our dreams with your whole being.
The future is yours.
Your dreams will all come true!
Chase your dreams and continue to pursue excellence where you go. Congratulations!
Education is a remarkable tool – It enables you to do wonderful things that can catapult you to great success. Congratulations on your graduation and all the best for the future.
Getting up early for class, going to bed late after assignments, stressed by exams – but now all your effort and determination has paid off Congratulations!
Graduating is certainly a milestone but life is the biggest learning experience of them all! Congratulations on your accomplishment.
We are so proud of all of what you’ve accomplished. March on!
The promise of future success is just around the corner.
To old friends and new beginnings!
Success will be yours. Keep on keeping on.
Always take pride in your work! Congrats!
Spread your wings and fly.
The tassel is worth the hassle.
Switch the tassel to the other side – you’ve done it!
The future just called and it’s waiting for YOU!
Today we celebrate your achievement. You deserve all the accolades!
We are so proud of you
Take time to remember and a time to celebrate!
As one experience comes to an end, another begins.
You’ve done great and you’ll do great!
Believe in your dreams!
Best wishes for your future
To new beginnings!
You have arrived!
Reach for the stars!
(Editor’s Note: This is the gold standard of all commencement addresses. Read and learn.)
I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That’s it. No big deal. Just three stories.
The first story is about connecting the dots.
I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?
It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl.
So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: “We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?” They said: “Of course.” My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.
And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents’ savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn’t see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn’t interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.
It wasn’t all romantic. I didn’t have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends’ rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5¢ deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me give you one example:
Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and didn’t have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can’t capture, and I found it fascinating.
None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it’s likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.
Again, you can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
My second story is about love and loss.
I was lucky – I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees. We had just released our finest creation – the Macintosh – a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired.
How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.
I really didn’t know what to do for a few months – I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down – that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly – I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began to dawn on me — I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.
I didn’t see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.
During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature film, Toy Story, and is now the most successful animation studio in the world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT, I returned to Apple, and the technology we developed at NeXT is at the heart of Apple’s current renaissance. And Laurene and I have a wonderful family together.
I’m pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn’t been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith. I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers.
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.
My third story is about death.
When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn’t even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor’s code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you’d have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family – It means to say your goodbyes.
I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I’m fine now.
This was the closest I’ve been to facing death, and I hope it’s the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960’s, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and Polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.
Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.” It was their farewell message as they signed off – Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.
Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
Thank you all very much.
1 – Graduation Wishes
2 – Card Messages
3 – Graduating Quotes
4 – Funny Quotations
5 – Inspirational
6 – College
7 – High School
8 – Congratulations Quotes
9 – What to write in cards
10 – Congratulations Graduation Messages
To Share is Divine...
A congratulation letter for this is written in order to give best wishes to that person. a congratulations letter for winning an award for a contest or competition.