Get inspired by these wise words and make the very best out of your life.
Living life to the fullest takes a lot of dedication and work. However, it can be extremely difficult to maintain a high level of inspiration, especially when the going gets tough. Whenever things don’t go as planned, I developed the habit to relax for a couple of minutes, take a step back and have a look at my handpicked selection of the most inspiring quotes about life, love, happiness and growth. Often times, that’s all it takes to re-enlighten the burning fire of inspiration within me. It’s really astonishing what a few very wise words can do to your overall well-being and the way you perceive the world. Sometimes you’re just so caught up with your daily life that it appears to be a grim and ruthless world you’re living in. Inspiration from so many different sources allows us to remember the true beauty of life. It makes us see opportunities where others only see problems.
Reading through the quotes of some of the wisest men and women helps us to get our positive outlook on life back, even in times of great trouble. Life can be tough, it can be difficult, but with the right source inspiration, you have everything you need to face the challenges of your daily life.
If we have the courage to pay close attention to the wisdom that can be found within each quote, if we truly digest it and act upon it, we can profoundly change our lives.
Let’s begin. The quotes are in no specific order.
1. “When I was five years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
2. “Don’t worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.”
3. “The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.”
Arthur C. Clarke
4. “The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be.”
5. “Some men see things as they are and say why—I dream things that never were and say why not.”
George Bernard Shaw
6. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”
7. “Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
8. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
9. “There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”
10. “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”
11. “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.”
12. “Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it.”
13. “When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’”
14. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.”
15. “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.”
16. “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
17. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.”
18. “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.”
19. “There is no royal road to anything. One thing at a time, all things in succession. That which grows fast, withers as rapidly. That which grows slowly, endures.
Josiah Gilbert Holland
20. “Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.”
21. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
22. “Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get.”
23. “Nurture your mind with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes heroes.”
24. “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
25. “Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed. In the second, it is opposed. In the third, it is regarded as self-evident.”
26. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”
Joshua J. Marine
27. “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs are more people who have, life.”
28. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
30. “Nobody ever wrote down a plan to be broke, fat, lazy, or stupid. Those things are what happened when you don’t have a plan.”
31. “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that it would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, I used everything you gave me.”
32. “Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.”
33. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.”
34. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
35. “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
36. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.”
37. “Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending.”
38. “You may find the worst enemy or best friend in yourself.”
39. “Life is about making an impact, not making an income.”
40. “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”
41. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
42. “You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
43. “Live each day as if your life had just begun.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
44. “I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
Leonardo da Vinci
45. “Look at the sparrows; they do not know what they will do in the next moment. Let us literally live from moment to moment.”
46. “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.”
47. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
Martin Luther King Jr.
48. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.”
49. “There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.”
50. “If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.”
51. “The great thing in this world is not so much where you stand, as in what direction you are moving.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes
52. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sales. Explore, dream, discover.”
53. “Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side-by-side can grow if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.”
Rainer Maria Rilke
54. “I didn’t fail the test. I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.”
55. “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always got them.”
56. “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.”
57. “Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement.”
W. Clement Stone
58. “If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.”
Vincent van Gogh
59. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by deceits you plant.”
Robert Louis Stevenson
60. “Few things can help an individual more than to place responsibility on him, and to let him know that you trust him.”
Booker T. Washington
61. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, ‘I’m possible!’”
62. “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
63. “Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.”
John Allen Paulos
64. “Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.”
65. “I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.”
66. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
67. “Everything has beauty, but not everyone can see.”
68. “The only way to do great work is to love what you do.”
69. “The mind is everything. What you think you become.”
70. “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.”
71. “People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used.”
72. “It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is merely living death.”
73. “Happiness is like a butterfly. The more you chase it, the more it eludes you. But if you turn your attention to other things, it comes and sits softly on your shoulder.”
Henry David Thoreau
74. “Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won’t adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is sign on as its accomplice.”
75. “We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
76. “We all know how important love is, yet how often is it really emoted or exhibited? What so many sick people in this world suffer from—loneliness, boredom, and fear—can’t be cured with a pill.”
77. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
78. “Happiness depends upon ourselves.”
79. “Be happy with what have and are, be generous with both, and you won’t have to hunt for happiness.”
William E. Gladstone
80. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
81. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”
82. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.”
83. “The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It’s not that we seize them, but that they seize us.”
84. “Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt
85. “Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself – no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are – completely; the good and the bad – and make changes as YOU see fit – not because you think someone else wants you to be different.”
86. “The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.”
87. “It’s not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.”
88. “For many men, the acquisition of wealth does not end their troubles, it only changes them.”
89. “The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.”
90. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”
91. “We begin from the recognition that all beings cherish happiness and do not want to suffer. It then becomes both morally wrong and pragmatically unwise to pursue only one’s own happiness oblivious to the feelings and aspirations of all others who surround us as members of the same human family. The wiser course is to think of others when pursing your own happiness.”
92. “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.”
93. “The most beautiful people we have known of those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”
94. “Happiness is something that comes into our lives through the doors we don’t even remember leaving open.”
95. “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.”
96. “Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.”
97. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
98. “There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of your will.”
99. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.”
100. “Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chances placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.”
The wisdom within these quotes encourages us to seize the day and to have the courage to make the most out of our lives. These wise men and women tell us not to allow our fear of failure to stop us from pursuing our dreams. But they also hint at the fact that we ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and that true happiness can only be found within, never outside.
I hope you enjoyed the article. Feel free to share your favorite quote in the comment section below and I will include it into the article.
2434 quotes have been tagged as wise-words: Jess C. Scott: 'When someone loves you, the way tags: choices, fair, life, love, philosophy, truth, wise-words.
They say that wisdom comes with age, and these wise sayings will give you better judgement and a sense of purpose in life.
What is wisdom exactly? Wisdom is defined as, “the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement.”
If we’re lucky enough to have parents, mentors and advisors, then we have heard plenty of wise sayings about life.
We also know that you can’t just hear it once.
Life’s wisdom can often miss us because life moves so fast, that we have to practice standing still.
In many cultures and religions across the world, gaining wisdom is the ultimate goal.
Wisdom is seen as the highest form of understanding, which can lead you towards enlightenment.
Something I’ve learned in life is that my favorite quotes and sayings can often become principles to live by.
I hope these wise sayings about life can serve as guidelines for greater happiness, fulfillment, connection, and meaning.
1.) “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”― Gautama Buddha
Before you pour your love into someone else, fill yourself up first.
2.) “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Rumi
Start with you. Start where you are. Changing the world is an exciting idea. Changing yourself makes it possible.
3.) “Man is a mystery. It needs to be unravelled, and if you spend your whole life unravelling it, don’t say that you’ve wasted time. I am studying that mystery because I want to be a human being.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Everything you do and have done has gotten you closer to who you really are and who you aspire to be. So in essence, even if you disagree with what you have done, it was never time wasted.
4.) “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.”
― Gautama Buddha
Words only go so far, we must live our message. Our true wisdom is displayed through our actions.
5.) “Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean.” ― Bob Dylan
Being wrong is just as powerful as being right. Sometimes, it’s even more powerful.
6.) “We seldom realize, for example that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society.” ― Alan Wilson Watts
Let’s be mindful of what we identify with and hold on to. Many times we think, “That’s just who I am, that just what I think…” But the truth is, many things we think and desire are not our own. Since our childhood, we’ve been looking for attention and acceptance and most of the time that came from ‘following directions’. Take some time to think about how you think.
7.) “You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.” ― Gautama Buddha
Once you’re angry, the harm is already done.
8.) “If others tell us something we make assumptions, and if they don’t tell us something we make assumptions to fulfill our need to know and to replace the need to communicate. Even if we hear something and we don’t understand we make assumptions about what it means and then believe the assumptions. We make all sorts of assumptions because we don’t have the courage to ask questions.” ― Miguel Ruiz
The only thing worse than making assumptions is to believe them.
9.) “I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy. ” ― Anthony Robbins
Don’t let your pain stay as pain. Get something from it. Let your pain push you towards growth.
10.) “The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wisdom doesn’t have to be bleak. Let your understanding help you recognize the unexplainable.
11.) “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.” ― Gautama Buddha
Growing isn’t something that happens once. It happens again and again, and again!
12.) “This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.”― Dalai Lama XIV
Life = Love
13.) “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
14.) “Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.” – Denis Waitley
15.) “Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way.” – Al Franken
16.) “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
17.) “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.” – Oprah Winfrey
18.) “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” – Voltaire
19.) “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
20.) “You can never plan the future by the past.” — Edmund Burke
21.) “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” — Robert Frost
22.) “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
23.) “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde
24.) “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” – Soren Kierkegaard
25.) “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” – Mae West
26.) “Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul.” – Rebecca West
27.) “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” – Elbert Hubbard
28.) “The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That’s the day we truly grow up.” – John C. Maxwell
29.) “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” – Soren Kierkegaard
30.) “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” – Lou Holtz
31.) “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
32.) “Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.”―Paulo Coelho
33.) “I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I’m actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons.” – Drew Barrymore
34.) “You can’t live your life for other people. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.” – The Notebook
35.) “Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.” ―Rumi
36.) “Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it.” ―Irving Berlin
37.) “No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories.” ― Haruki Murakami
38.) “Only the dead have seen the end of war.” ― Plato
39.) “People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
40.) “A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own.” – Latin Proverb
41.) “On every thorn, delightful wisdom grows. In every rill a sweet instruction flows.” – Edward Young
42.) “It’s not the load that weighs you down, it’s how you carry it.” – C.S. Lewis
43.) “The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart.” – William Hazlitt
44.) “People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” – Harper Lee
45.) “To be successful, you must act big, think big and talk big.” – Unknown
46.) “There is more to life than increasing its speed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
47.) “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
48.) “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
49.) “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
50.) “Wise men make more opportunities than they find.” – Francis Bacon
51.) “In order to be happy oneself, it is necessary to make at least one other person happy.”– Theodor Reik
52.) “Everyone in life is gonna hurt you; you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain.” – Erica Baican
53.) “A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.” – Thomas Carlyle
54.) “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
55.) “There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.”– Franklin D. Roosevelt
56.) “No one ever finds life worth living – one has to make it worth living.” – Winston Churchill
57.) “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.”– Les Brown
58.) “An unexamined life is not worth living.”– Socrates
59.) “Life is much more fun if you live it in the spirit of play and collaboration, working with instead of against others.” – Wally Amos
60.) “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”– Vince Lombardi
61.) “You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.” – Mary Tyler Moore
62.) “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
63.) “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
64.) “I am not what happened to me; I am what I choose to become.”– C.G. Jung
75.) “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.”– Stephen Chbosky
Words of wisdom from individuals of all different backgrounds can teach us important life lessons. Through the years, great men and women have imprinted their wisdom on us by way of their wise words. And because of them, their contributions have made this world a better place to live in.
Hopefully, these wise sayings will guide you towards greater happiness, fulfillment, connection, and meaning.
Did you enjoy these wise sayings? What other wise sayings about life would you like to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
Wisdom is a great source of power. It’s through others’ stories of failure and success that we learn the most. It’s through their experiences of things we have yet to witness that feeds us the knowledge we need to fly high, to build upon what we already know.
Related:A Word to the Un-Wise: 5 Keys to Wisdom and Wealth
There is little in life that a wise mind can’t conquer. And it’s the sage-like guidance that inspires us to make our life that much better.
Here are 19 insightful quotes from people who lived exceptional lives.
Related: Seeking Advice: The Wisest Way to Hit the Next Level of Success
Lydia Sweatt is the web producer for SUCCESS.com. She recently earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Texas at Arlington and is a Dallas native. She enjoys painting, a hefty taco and discovering new music.
Posted in Motivation, Uncategorized
← How to Construct an Empowering Reality3 Techniques to Never Stop Learning →
Many Of Life's Failures (Thomas Edison Quote), classroom motivational poster .. 101 Black and White Inspirational Quotes Full of Wisdom for Life. words of.
Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous old life quotes, life sayings, and life proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
George Bernard Shaw
I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.
We all have two lives. The second one starts when we realize we only have one.
You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
An unexamined life is not worth living.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us.
Alexander Graham Bell
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.
The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Browse our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous lifequotes and life sayings.