See more ideas about Thoughts, Wisdom and Great quotes. quote life quote life lessons cute quotes quotes about life wise quotes maya angelou liars words.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
I recently shared 37 things I’ve learned in my 37 years, and invited Side Hustle Nation to share their own life lessons.
This post is a compilation of the “words to live by” responses I received, broken down into several broad categories.
“Do you have — or are you getting — the results you want?” That was the one-question mindset test proposed by Dane Maxwell. If you can’t answer yes, there’s room for some mindset growth.
The first 3 quotes here come from Matt Rowell, a podcast guest of mine with a cool knife sharpening side hustle.
1. It’s all relative: Success, a big email list, lots of downloads, acres of land, number of customers. It’s better to judge our performance to our own expectations rather than based on what other people say about themselves.
The way I interpret this one is to avoid comparing yourselves to others. I know, it’s hard!
2. The power of one: I think about this with the email list. It’s better to focus on the people on the list opening and reading than it is to dwell on growing the number of recipients.
3. There are no ordinary moments: This comes from Way of the Peaceful Warrior. That next phone call, email, or conference, or holding the door for someone, or making eye contact and passing kindness all hold epic potential to change the course of our life, which can have epic potential to change the course of many other people’s lives. The more we realize that, the more we look for it and the better our odds of getting massive action through stacking up small wins.
4. “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” –Tony Robbins
5. “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.” — Henry Ford
6. I’ve got all day tomorrow to worry about stuff. (Repeat daily)
7. Trying to control everything can leave you unable to enjoy the moment. Plan what you can. Go with the flow when the situation calls for it.
8. Travel with an open mind.
9. Don’t be tarnished by your past experience; it will make for a very angry future.
10. Purpose is that which you feel passionate about plus responsible for.
11. There is no one true purpose in life. And it doesn’t really matter. As long as you do good for others around you, you’re okay.
12. Purpose can never be defined by what you do. It can only be discovered in who you are.
13. You’ve been unknowingly shaped since birth for your life purpose. Find the pattern.
14. Volunteer and one day you might get paid for it.
15. When you volunteer to help others you benefit just as much.
16. “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” –Seneca
17. The law of sowing and reaping is universal…you get what you give. Be careful what you give.
18. Don’t give other people your money to invest. Learn how to invest your money yourself. It’s not as hard as you think. No one will care more about your money than you.
19. You can’t get rich trading hours for dollars.
Related: 23 Ways I Make Passive Income
20. Never buy with future money. Don’t spend money you don’t have.
21. Never pay interest on credit cards.
Related:Credit Card Rewards 101: How We Earn Free Cash and Travel
22. Never pay full price unless you know it’s worth more.
23. Never buy on emotion.
24. “Want”, “need”, and “get” are three totally different things.
25. Good credit is priceless!
26. Brand label clothes and expensive cars are for assholes.
27. It’s not about how much you make. Its about how much you keep.
Related: Pay Less Taxes: Your Side Hustle Tax Questions Answered
28. Our real economic value comes from the beyond physical but spiritual. For instance, planning, foresight, integrity, etc., are beyond physical, but essential for progress in this life.
29. Never go out to breakfast on an empty stomach.
30. It is way easier to turn OFF savings automation when your bills get overwhelming, then to ever turn it back on again. So, keep your automatic savings withdrawals on as long as possible (speaking from personal experience), and treat that savings account like a black hole — money goes in, but it never comes back out. (Thanks to Amanda at Frugal Confessions!)
31. Pay yourself first.
32. Golden rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.
33. It’s OK to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.
34. Don’t just learn from your mistakes. Learn from other people’s mistakes.
35. You can teach a lot of things, but you can’t teach experience.
36. Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want.
37. Failure is not an end in and of itself unless you let it be. Failures are opportunities to learn and improve. Failure is not the opposite of success. Failure is the way to success.
Related: My Side Hustle Failures
38. You can either choose to be miserable and allow circumstances to bring you down, or you can choose to be grateful, and pick yourself up after failure (it’s temporary anyway), heartbreak, or whatever else comes your way.
39. When you fall, fall forward.
40. It’s not what we did wrong. It’s what we do for an encore.
41. Get back up one more time than you fall.
42. Always jump into a challenge… the unknown is your greatest friend.
43. Some things in life can never be fully appreciated nor understood unless experienced firsthand.
44. What I did yesterday, helped me be who I am today, and what I’m doing today is preparing me for tomorrow.
45. Pray for the best, prepare for the worst.
46. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
47. Those who want respect, give respect.
48. Be kind.
49. What goes around comes around.
50. It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice.
51. If I’m nice to people and they aren’t nice to me, it’s their problem.
52. Most people are marvelous.
53. Never settle, especially in relationships.
54. Stop, listen, and think before you respond.
55. Don’t be quick to judge; you never know what another person is going through.
56. You can’t control people. You can only control you.
57. Pay close attention to your potential mother-in-law before you marry. That will be your wife in 20-30 years.
58. Love shouldn’t be hard work.
59. Kindness really does matter. It can change a life.
60. Hosting a meetup in an area that you shine in with no purpose of selling will create amazing referrals and advocates. People like people that aren’t there just to sell to them and just listen for a change.
61. Collaboration gets you better ideas, new friends, more eyeballs, and encourages you to let go of your ego and help others.
61. In the end, it’s all about friends and family.
62. Before leaving family or friends say goodbye in a manor you feel good about just in case it’s the last time you see them.
63. Accept that not everyone will like you. Even the most popular presidents were disliked by 45%-50% of the country. Live your life.
64. Everyone does not need to be a part of your life long-term. As you grow, there will be many who will not grow with you.
65. Make friends before you need them!
66. Say I love you to your spouse every day.
67. Don’t go to bed mad.
68. Nobody will ever give you shit for being early.
69. It’s OK to regret things you’ve done, but don’t regret what you didn’t do.
70. Sometimes, you just have to act. You can think and plan and prepare all you want, but more often it is a matter of just getting into action.
71. Trust your gut.
72. You can do whatever you want, some things just take a little longer.
73. It’s easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
74. Just start. Once you have momentum you’ll find a way.
75. Sometimes you gotta just leap.
76. Difficulty equals opportunity. The reason is simple. If there is a high entry barrier, the majority of people will be excluded. Therefore competition will be weaker for those that have the endurance to get through the barriers.
77. If you feel it, keep going — even if means going alone.
78. You should generally bite off more than you can chew, and then just chew really fast.
79. “When the goin’ gets weird, the weird turn pro.” — Hunter S. Thompson
80. Be willing to take calculated risks.
81. If you don’t like yourself, others won’t either.
82. Thoughts become things. You get what you focus on good and bad.
83. The biggest difference between where I am and where I’m going is what I’m REALLY telling myself.
84. Unclench yourself in traffic — you can’t go any faster than the cars in front of you.
85. If you stay and face the unpleasant feelings or emotions by being present with them, they will eventually dissipate. And that’s the first step in the healing process.
86. You will create a story about the world and yourself that will dramatically influence you. Always reexamine that story.
87. Beliefs are just beliefs. They are not reality.
88. The outcome of my life is entirely what I make it.
89. Let your faith in yourself be stronger than your fear.
90. “Be yourself — everyone else is already taken.” –Oscar Wilde
91. Don’t allow anyone to put you down. You’re beautiful and stronger than you know.
92. Be Grateful. On Purpose. Every Day.
93. The best weapon is a genuine smile.
94. Happiness is a choice, your choice. Choose to be happy; you’ll probably live longer.
95. All is well. Everything is a mess, and all is well.
96. All positive psychology is the expression of positive biology.
97. Only you can make you happy!
98. Have fun.
99. Laugh every day.
100. Music is therapy.
101. No one needs a smile so much as those that have none to give.
Several readers shared the Stoic concept of “memento mori” — remember death. It’s a call for humility (we’re all gonna die someday) and inspiration (but not yet, so make the most of it!).
102. There’s a reason they don’t read resumes at funerals.
103. It’s not how long you live that matters, but what you do with the life you have.
104. Life is to be lived; not just survived.
105. Don’t cheat, it never pays off.
106. Sucking at something is the first step to being awesome at something.
107. Read, read, and read! All the answers you’re looking for are probably in a book somewhere. Be a voracious reader.
If you’re short on time, our podcast sponsor Blinkist can help.
Related: Check out The Side Hustle: How to Turn Your Spare Time into $1000 a Month or More (free on Kindle!)
108. It’s OK to write in the margins of books. It’s easier to find your original thoughts. Plus, if donating the book, the notes add interesting insights for others.
109. If you’re not a child prodigy genius, a world class musician, or a star athlete, getting an education is important.
110. If I could take all of my education and turn it into wisdom, I’d be much smarter.
111. Your first instinct is usually right!
112. Intuition is an asset, because people lie right to your face.
113. You’ll learn more by listening than talking.
114. 50% of wisdom is keeping your mouth shut.
115. Make your bed in the morning. It provides a springboard for good feelings of accomplishment throughout the day.
116. Think about what you’re going to do tomorrow, you will never see that day again. Use it wisely.
This is one of my keystone habits to be more effective.
116. Never let tasks or ideas sit in your mind without being captured.
117. The biggest danger is telling yourself that you have a lot of time to get something done.
118. It’s okay to set boundaries and to demand personal space to meditate and process information before making decisions.
119. Don’t wait to do something later if you have the time to do it now. Never put it off until tomorrow.
120. Overcome laziness and the world will be yours!
121. When you don’t know what to do, get up and move.
Related: Health and Fitness for Busy Entrepreneurs: The Most Overlooked Productivity Hack?
122. The longer it takes, the less likely it is to happen.
123. Nothing good happens after midnight.
124. If we all had the curiosity of children instead of the arrogance of adults we’d get a lot more done.
125. The lazy man works twice as hard.
126. If you want it bad enough, you’ll put in the work.
127. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
128. We all want things to happen “right now.” Sometimes it is not our moment and we need a little more practice or experience to prepare us for what is next.
129. Appreciate time alone with your thoughts.
130. Live your dream, don’t just exist in someone else’s.
131. Keep doing what you love.
132. Never get upset until it’s time to get upset!
133. Often times, a major crisis can equal an opportunity.
134. Good or bad, this too will pass. Just keep moving!
135. Change is the only constant so embrace it!
136. Stop building your whole life around a timeline. Life has far too twists and turns. You will be disappointed.
137. There is no such thing as a secure job. Just accept it and do what it takes to protect yourself.
138. “Pee what you got.” When stopped at a rest stop, even if you don’t feel like you have to go — pee what you got — so that you’re prepared for anything that could be coming next on your journey. (h/t to Carl Hunt for this one!)
139. The sun will come up tomorrow.
Do you have any life lessons or words of wisdom to share? Be sure to leave them in the comments below!
Pin it for later:
Posted on September 18, 2019
Powerful Wisdom And Exceptional Life Lessons From Oprah Winfrey As the first black female on the Forbes Words That Matter: A Little Book of Life Lessons.
#quotes on life #life lessons
Today’s chosen words of wisdom for inspiration is about life’s lessons. I randomly covered many quotes on attitude. Today felt like choosing life’s lessons as main interest.
Quotes about life
🌟It takes work to grow old gracefully
Many people just grow old travelling with time, they spend their life’s with no particular goals in mind. They end their life’s with regret. If people can plan well, do the work and live a life in order, they can humbly grow old.
🌟welcome the possibilities
We all have great potential and to that if we add positive thinking, and enthusiasm our possibilities are endless in life.
🌟A good life is long enough
A life that is lived happily for a shorter span with great satisfaction, meaningfulness and gratitude is more than enough, than a long and meaningless life with suffering and negativity.
🌟Feeling beautiful is more important than being beautiful
There’s no guarantee that all beautiful looking people are happy, feeling beautiful from inside is more important and it is possible only with inner work.
🌟No matter what you accomplish or how far you go in life, you are still you
🌟Take criticism and praise with equal grace
This is the most important lesson to be learned in life, those who learned this lead a balanced life.
🌟As you think so you become
Your thinking influences who you become. If you are filled with more negative thoughts and hatred you know what it will result in. If you are mostly optimistic and think accordingly, you are a winner.
🌟Leisure is not enjoyed unless it is earned
🌟The best kind of peace is peace of mind
🌟A journey begins with a single step, and a road map
Even a journey of thousands miles starts with a single step, but without a proper road map and preparation we can get lost, it’s the same in life too.
Hope you enjoyed reading this post on quotes about life lessons , please do comment below, if you liked any of the of lines in particular 🌟
Can follow me now on other social media pages
They say that wisdom comes with age, and these wise sayings will give you better judgement and a sense of purpose in life.
What is wisdom exactly? Wisdom is defined as, “the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement.”
If we’re lucky enough to have parents, mentors and advisors, then we have heard plenty of wise sayings about life.
We also know that you can’t just hear it once.
Life’s wisdom can often miss us because life moves so fast, that we have to practice standing still.
In many cultures and religions across the world, gaining wisdom is the ultimate goal.
Wisdom is seen as the highest form of understanding, which can lead you towards enlightenment.
Something I’ve learned in life is that my favorite quotes and sayings can often become principles to live by.
I hope these wise sayings about life can serve as guidelines for greater happiness, fulfillment, connection, and meaning.
1.) “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”― Gautama Buddha
Before you pour your love into someone else, fill yourself up first.
2.) “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Rumi
Start with you. Start where you are. Changing the world is an exciting idea. Changing yourself makes it possible.
3.) “Man is a mystery. It needs to be unravelled, and if you spend your whole life unravelling it, don’t say that you’ve wasted time. I am studying that mystery because I want to be a human being.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Everything you do and have done has gotten you closer to who you really are and who you aspire to be. So in essence, even if you disagree with what you have done, it was never time wasted.
4.) “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.”
― Gautama Buddha
Words only go so far, we must live our message. Our true wisdom is displayed through our actions.
5.) “Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean.” ― Bob Dylan
Being wrong is just as powerful as being right. Sometimes, it’s even more powerful.
6.) “We seldom realize, for example that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society.” ― Alan Wilson Watts
Let’s be mindful of what we identify with and hold on to. Many times we think, “That’s just who I am, that just what I think…” But the truth is, many things we think and desire are not our own. Since our childhood, we’ve been looking for attention and acceptance and most of the time that came from ‘following directions’. Take some time to think about how you think.
7.) “You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.” ― Gautama Buddha
Once you’re angry, the harm is already done.
8.) “If others tell us something we make assumptions, and if they don’t tell us something we make assumptions to fulfill our need to know and to replace the need to communicate. Even if we hear something and we don’t understand we make assumptions about what it means and then believe the assumptions. We make all sorts of assumptions because we don’t have the courage to ask questions.” ― Miguel Ruiz
The only thing worse than making assumptions is to believe them.
9.) “I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy. ” ― Anthony Robbins
Don’t let your pain stay as pain. Get something from it. Let your pain push you towards growth.
10.) “The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wisdom doesn’t have to be bleak. Let your understanding help you recognize the unexplainable.
11.) “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.” ― Gautama Buddha
Growing isn’t something that happens once. It happens again and again, and again!
12.) “This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.”― Dalai Lama XIV
Life = Love
13.) “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
14.) “Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.” – Denis Waitley
15.) “Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way.” – Al Franken
16.) “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
17.) “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.” – Oprah Winfrey
18.) “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” – Voltaire
19.) “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
20.) “You can never plan the future by the past.” — Edmund Burke
21.) “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” — Robert Frost
22.) “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
23.) “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde
24.) “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” – Soren Kierkegaard
25.) “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” – Mae West
26.) “Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul.” – Rebecca West
27.) “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” – Elbert Hubbard
28.) “The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That’s the day we truly grow up.” – John C. Maxwell
29.) “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” – Soren Kierkegaard
30.) “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” – Lou Holtz
31.) “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
32.) “Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.”―Paulo Coelho
33.) “I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I’m actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons.” – Drew Barrymore
34.) “You can’t live your life for other people. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.” – The Notebook
35.) “Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.” ―Rumi
36.) “Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it.” ―Irving Berlin
37.) “No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories.” ― Haruki Murakami
38.) “Only the dead have seen the end of war.” ― Plato
39.) “People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
40.) “A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own.” – Latin Proverb
41.) “On every thorn, delightful wisdom grows. In every rill a sweet instruction flows.” – Edward Young
42.) “It’s not the load that weighs you down, it’s how you carry it.” – C.S. Lewis
43.) “The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart.” – William Hazlitt
44.) “People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” – Harper Lee
45.) “To be successful, you must act big, think big and talk big.” – Unknown
46.) “There is more to life than increasing its speed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
47.) “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
48.) “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
49.) “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
50.) “Wise men make more opportunities than they find.” – Francis Bacon
51.) “In order to be happy oneself, it is necessary to make at least one other person happy.”– Theodor Reik
52.) “Everyone in life is gonna hurt you; you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain.” – Erica Baican
53.) “A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.” – Thomas Carlyle
54.) “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
55.) “There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.”– Franklin D. Roosevelt
56.) “No one ever finds life worth living – one has to make it worth living.” – Winston Churchill
57.) “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.”– Les Brown
58.) “An unexamined life is not worth living.”– Socrates
59.) “Life is much more fun if you live it in the spirit of play and collaboration, working with instead of against others.” – Wally Amos
60.) “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”– Vince Lombardi
61.) “You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.” – Mary Tyler Moore
62.) “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
63.) “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
64.) “I am not what happened to me; I am what I choose to become.”– C.G. Jung
75.) “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.”– Stephen Chbosky
Words of wisdom from individuals of all different backgrounds can teach us important life lessons. Through the years, great men and women have imprinted their wisdom on us by way of their wise words. And because of them, their contributions have made this world a better place to live in.
Hopefully, these wise sayings will guide you towards greater happiness, fulfillment, connection, and meaning.
Did you enjoy these wise sayings? What other wise sayings about life would you like to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
Powerful Wisdom And Exceptional Life Lessons From Oprah Winfrey As the first black female on the Forbes Words That Matter: A Little Book of Life Lessons.
By Yoon Sann Wong, 28 Mar 2017
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Receive interesting stories like this one in your inbox
Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.