Jun 2, 2019- Explore Paloma Contreras | La Dolce Vita's board "Wise Words", followed by Grow through what you go through #quote #quotes #wisewords.
They say that wisdom comes with age, and these wise sayings will give you better judgement and a sense of purpose in life.
What is wisdom exactly? Wisdom is defined as, “the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement.”
If we’re lucky enough to have parents, mentors and advisors, then we have heard plenty of wise sayings about life.
We also know that you can’t just hear it once.
Life’s wisdom can often miss us because life moves so fast, that we have to practice standing still.
In many cultures and religions across the world, gaining wisdom is the ultimate goal.
Wisdom is seen as the highest form of understanding, which can lead you towards enlightenment.
Something I’ve learned in life is that my favorite quotes and sayings can often become principles to live by.
I hope these wise sayings about life can serve as guidelines for greater happiness, fulfillment, connection, and meaning.
1.) “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”― Gautama Buddha
Before you pour your love into someone else, fill yourself up first.
2.) “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Rumi
Start with you. Start where you are. Changing the world is an exciting idea. Changing yourself makes it possible.
3.) “Man is a mystery. It needs to be unravelled, and if you spend your whole life unravelling it, don’t say that you’ve wasted time. I am studying that mystery because I want to be a human being.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Everything you do and have done has gotten you closer to who you really are and who you aspire to be. So in essence, even if you disagree with what you have done, it was never time wasted.
4.) “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.”
― Gautama Buddha
Words only go so far, we must live our message. Our true wisdom is displayed through our actions.
5.) “Sometimes it’s not enough to know what things mean, sometimes you have to know what things don’t mean.” ― Bob Dylan
Being wrong is just as powerful as being right. Sometimes, it’s even more powerful.
6.) “We seldom realize, for example that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society.” ― Alan Wilson Watts
Let’s be mindful of what we identify with and hold on to. Many times we think, “That’s just who I am, that just what I think…” But the truth is, many things we think and desire are not our own. Since our childhood, we’ve been looking for attention and acceptance and most of the time that came from ‘following directions’. Take some time to think about how you think.
7.) “You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.” ― Gautama Buddha
Once you’re angry, the harm is already done.
8.) “If others tell us something we make assumptions, and if they don’t tell us something we make assumptions to fulfill our need to know and to replace the need to communicate. Even if we hear something and we don’t understand we make assumptions about what it means and then believe the assumptions. We make all sorts of assumptions because we don’t have the courage to ask questions.” ― Miguel Ruiz
The only thing worse than making assumptions is to believe them.
9.) “I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy. ” ― Anthony Robbins
Don’t let your pain stay as pain. Get something from it. Let your pain push you towards growth.
10.) “The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Wisdom doesn’t have to be bleak. Let your understanding help you recognize the unexplainable.
11.) “Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again.” ― Gautama Buddha
Growing isn’t something that happens once. It happens again and again, and again!
12.) “This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.”― Dalai Lama XIV
Life = Love
13.) “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
14.) “Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.” – Denis Waitley
15.) “Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way.” – Al Franken
16.) “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” – Steve Jobs
17.) “You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.” – Oprah Winfrey
18.) “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” – Voltaire
19.) “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
20.) “You can never plan the future by the past.” — Edmund Burke
21.) “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” — Robert Frost
22.) “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
23.) “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde
24.) “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” – Soren Kierkegaard
25.) “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” – Mae West
26.) “Life ought to be a struggle of desire toward adventures whose nobility will fertilize the soul.” – Rebecca West
27.) “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” – Elbert Hubbard
28.) “The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That’s the day we truly grow up.” – John C. Maxwell
29.) “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” – Soren Kierkegaard
30.) “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” – Lou Holtz
31.) “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
32.) “Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere.”―Paulo Coelho
33.) “I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I’m actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons.” – Drew Barrymore
34.) “You can’t live your life for other people. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.” – The Notebook
35.) “Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.” ―Rumi
36.) “Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it.” ―Irving Berlin
37.) “No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories.” ― Haruki Murakami
38.) “Only the dead have seen the end of war.” ― Plato
39.) “People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
40.) “A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own.” – Latin Proverb
41.) “On every thorn, delightful wisdom grows. In every rill a sweet instruction flows.” – Edward Young
42.) “It’s not the load that weighs you down, it’s how you carry it.” – C.S. Lewis
43.) “The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart.” – William Hazlitt
44.) “People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” – Harper Lee
45.) “To be successful, you must act big, think big and talk big.” – Unknown
46.) “There is more to life than increasing its speed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
47.) “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” – Albert Einstein
48.) “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
49.) “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
50.) “Wise men make more opportunities than they find.” – Francis Bacon
51.) “In order to be happy oneself, it is necessary to make at least one other person happy.”– Theodor Reik
52.) “Everyone in life is gonna hurt you; you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain.” – Erica Baican
53.) “A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge.” – Thomas Carlyle
54.) “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
55.) “There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.”– Franklin D. Roosevelt
56.) “No one ever finds life worth living – one has to make it worth living.” – Winston Churchill
57.) “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.”– Les Brown
58.) “An unexamined life is not worth living.”– Socrates
59.) “Life is much more fun if you live it in the spirit of play and collaboration, working with instead of against others.” – Wally Amos
60.) “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.”– Vince Lombardi
61.) “You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.” – Mary Tyler Moore
62.) “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
63.) “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
64.) “I am not what happened to me; I am what I choose to become.”– C.G. Jung
75.) “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.”– Stephen Chbosky
Words of wisdom from individuals of all different backgrounds can teach us important life lessons. Through the years, great men and women have imprinted their wisdom on us by way of their wise words. And because of them, their contributions have made this world a better place to live in.
Hopefully, these wise sayings will guide you towards greater happiness, fulfillment, connection, and meaning.
Did you enjoy these wise sayings? What other wise sayings about life would you like to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
Let these wise quotes remind you of life lessons that bring us wisdom and build our character. Also find wisdom quotes that remind you of the places where it is.
4 min read
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
Inspiration and creativity is all around us -- all you have to do is look for it.
I interact with hundreds of young business leaders a month. Through these interactions I'm constantly being asked for advice or feedback. Often I share the wisdom that I’ve learned from my mentors and my own experiences, but an additional source of guidance and inspiration that I like to share comes from great leaders throughout history.
Below I’ve highlighted six quotes from six different leaders that all entrepreneurs should know and apply to their businesses.
“Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.” -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. President
Don’t copy what everyone else is doing. You don’t know what’s working for them. And just because it looks good from afar, in reality, it could be a mess behind the scenes. It can pay off to be different and unique. While some copycat businesses have seen profitable success, the true innovators always challenge the status quo and strive for progress.
Related: Inspiring Quotes From 10 Visionary Business Leaders Who Changed Everything
“Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.” -- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th U.S. President
Great leaders gain support because they can effectively unite a group of people around their core values. Leadership is not about telling others what to do, but rather should be focused on getting others to follow you.
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” -- African Proverb
You can make money and find success as an individual, but if you want to achieve greatness and build something that lasts, then you must build trust within a team. The greatest companies in the world may have been founded by one or two people, but they were all built through dedicated team collaboration.
Related: Muhammad Ali and What it Takes To Achieve Greatness
“You’ve got to start with the customer experience and work back towards the technology, not the other way around.” -- Steve Jobs, Co-founder, Apple
The customer is always right. You have to listen to the needs and demands of your customer at all times and build a product or service that they demand. You can spend all the money in the world, but if the customer doesn’t want what you’re selling, you’re going to fail.
“If you’re working on the wrong problem, it doesn’t matter how hard you work at it.” -- Caterina Fake,Co-founder, Flickr
Working hard is important, but working smart is more valuable in the long run. It’s important to come up for air occasionally and gather feedback from trusted stakeholders to make sure you’re still working in the right direction. It’s very easy to get tunnel vision when you’re building a business and lose sight of the end goal. Don’t be afraid to stop to course correct and change direction if the product isn’t resonating in its current state. Being an entrepreneur means failing quickly and having the courage to rebuild frequently.
Related: Keys to Wealth, Success and Influence From a Young Entrepreneur
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” -- Andre Gide, Nobel Prize Laureate
If you want to be a change maker and innovator, you have to be ready to challenge the status quo and think differently. This generally means you have to be willing to take huge risks and be ready for people to laugh at you. I tell every young entrepreneur I meet that if people aren’t laughing at your goals then you’ve set them too low.
Here, we bring you wise sayings from Chartcons, an extensive collection of inspirational, motivational and funny quotations by famous authors, celebrities and scholars
Wisdom is profitable to the wise and in all you get, you must try and get wisdom. In life, we are faced with different choices to make at different times, sometimes it is confusing to determine which choice to make, but a man of wisdom always makes good choices and seldom makes mistakes. Here are some good wise sayings for you.
1. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” Abraham Lincoln
2. “The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That’s the day we truly grow up.” John C. Maxwell
3. “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” Soren Kierkegaard
4. “What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds.” Wayne Dyer
5. Adolescence: When youth assumes the responsibility for answering the phone.
6. Adult education often begins with a teenage marriage.
7. Alimony is sometimes known as bounty on the mutiny.
8. Alimony is the high cost of leaving.
9. All children, even those who don’t deserve it, need love.
10. All people are equal but it’s what they’re equal to that counts.10.
11. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” George Bernard Shaw
12. “There is more to life than increasing its speed.” Mahatma Gandhi
13. “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” Confucius
14. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” Dalai Lama
15. “There are three constants in life…change, choice and principles.” Stephen Covey
16. “Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.” Lou Holtz
17. “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.” William James
18. “The only disability in life is a bad attitude.” Scott Hamilton
19. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?” Martin Luther King, Jr.
20. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them–that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” Lao Tzu
21. “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy
22. “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” Albert Einstein
23. “When life is too easy for us, we must beware or we may not be ready to meet the blows which sooner or later come to everyone, rich or poor.” Eleanor Roosevelt
24. “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.” Voltaire
25. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” Winston Churchill
26. “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” Maya Angelou
28. “Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life.” John F. Kennedy
See Also: Common Sayings Everyone Should Know
29. “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” Vince Lombardi
30. “Communication is a skill that you can learn. It’s like riding a bicycle or typing. If you’re willing to work at it, you can rapidly improve the quality of every part of your life.” Brian Tracy
31. “Today is life–the only life you are sure of. Make the most of today. Get interested in something. Shake yourself awake. Develop a hobby. Let the winds of enthusiasm sweep through you. Live today with gusto.” Dale Carnegie
32. “The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you.” Tony Robbins
33. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” Robert Frost
34. “There is no passion to be found playing small–in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” Nelson Mandela
35. “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” Jim Rohn
36. “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” Michael Jordan
37. “The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.” Oprah Winfrey
38. “Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.” C. S. Lewis
39. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.” Henry Ford
40. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” Thomas A. Edison
41. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.” Amelia Earhart
42. A person with a green thumb seldom paints a town red.
43. A gossip is one who keeps a swivel tongue in her head.
44. A kiss is a contraction of the mouth due to an enlargement of the heart.
45. A lawyer is one who is summoned when a felon needs a friend.
46. A lot of happiness is overlooked because it doesn’t cost anything.
47. One person cannot hold another person down without stooping.
48. “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.” Eleanor Roosevelt
49. “Remember your dreams and fight for them. You must know what you want from life. There is just one thing that makes your dream become impossible: the fear of failure.” Paulo Coelho
50. “Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.” Thomas Jefferson
51. “We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
52. “Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner.” Les Brown
53. “Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.” Helen Keller
54. “The ultimate value of life depends upon awareness and the power of contemplation rather than upon mere survival.” Aristotle
56. “Don’t take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” Elbert Hubbard
57. “Each life is made up of mistakes and learning, waiting and growing, practicing patience and being persistent.” Billy Graham
58. “Each person must live their life as a model for others.” Rosa Parks
59. A fool empties his head every time he opens his mouth.
60. A friend is one who knows all about you and loves you just the same.
61. A friend who is not in need could be a friend indeed.
62. A girl who is free for the evening could be very expensive.
63. All the world loves a lover–unless waiting for the phone he’s using.
64. All too often a clear conscience is merely the result of a bad memory.
See Also: Family Saying – Things To Say About Family
65. “My philosophy of life is that if we make up our mind what we are going to make of our lives, then work hard toward that goal, we never lose–somehow we win out.” Ronald Reagan
66. “Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.” Vivian Komori
67. A diplomat is one who can bring home the bacon without spilling the beans.
68. A dog has many friends because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
69. A dogmatic person always has concrete opinions thoroughly mixed and permanently set.
70. A false friend and a shadow attend only when the sun shines.
71. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
72. A first grade teacher is one who knows how to make little things count.
73. A folk singer is a person who gets rich singing about how wonderful it is to be poor.
74. All too often you read the directions only to find out what you did wrong.
75. Almost invariably a successful man appears simple but is very wise.
76. A good example of give and take is to take pains to give happiness.
77. A good father, finding his son on the wrong track, will provide switching facilities.
78. A good idea that is shared with others will live forever.
79. A good listener is not only popular, but he learns while he listens.
80. A good reputation is precious, but a good character is priceless.
81. A good salesman is one who convinces his wife she looks fat in a fur coat.
82. A gossip is one who has a sense of rumor.
83. A mere suggestion, when made by the boss, often assumes the importance of a command.
84. A mysterious envelope will be mailed to you with a little window in it. Pay it.
85. A perfect example of minority rule is a baby in the house.
86. A person who shows promise has learned how to keep them.
87. A person is not rewarded for having brains, but only for using them.
88. You soon learn how little you know when a child begins to ask questions.
89. A man too often shows his worst side to his better half.
90. A person who cannot lead and will not follow invariable obstructs.
91. If you are contented with what you have done, you will never reach your potential.
92. If you are in love with yourself, you will never have many rivals.
93. A person who is wrong but won’t admit it often gets angry.
94. Your character is measured by what you would do if you knew you wouldn’t be found out.
95. A philosopher is a man who knows exactly what to do until it happens to him.
96. A practical nurse is one who marries a wealthy patient.
97. A rabbit’s foot is a poor substitute for horse sense.
98. A raving beauty is a girl who finished second in a beauty contest.
99. A shady business never results in a sunny life.
100. A sick man who takes a turn for the nurse is getting better.
Other Interesting Sayings For You
100 Famous Sayings – Popular Sayings
50 Things To Say When Someone Dies
150 Funny Quotes and Sayings
100 Get Well Sayings, Quotes and Greetings
100 Happy Sayings for Joyous Moments
Related: A Word to the Un-Wise: 5 Keys to Wisdom and Wealth Here are 19 insightful quotes from people who lived exceptional lives.
Wise Words To Live By is an application that offers you a lot of incredible wisdom sayings and words of wisdom that were selected from the best phrases of all time. This app contains some of the great famous wise quotes from great people like Buddha, Confucius, Aristotle, etc.These are wisdom saying that teach you about life, success, family, friendship, love, etc. This is not only for yourself, you can share them to your friends easily by clicking the share button. Inspire and motivate the peoples you know in a better way.Wise Words To Live By app is a collection of hundreds of quotes which contains sayings from great authors and philosophers whose brilliant words inspired many human beings.
If you have any suggested features or improvement, please leave a comment. In case something is not working correctly please let me know. When posting low rating please describe what is wrong to give the possibility to fix that issue.
There are ads in this app. Application is free, it does not promote paid version of this app, the only way to support future development is to include ads. Please treat that with understanding.
Share this Wise Words To Live By App on your Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, or other social media. Be enjoy and have fun with your new Wise Words To Live By app here in the playstore.
Download Now and Hope you love this app.. So Don't Miss The Fun
What is love and what does it bring to a life? Philosophers, who have pondered the topic, share their wisdom in insightful quotations.