In Islam, the celebration of welcoming a new born child is more than tears of joy shed by the parents. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).
“And peace be on him the day he was born, and the day he dies, and the day he shall be raised alive!”1
“And peace be on me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive.”2
119. Imam al-Baqir (a.s.) said: “O child of three [great] days: The day which you were born, the day which you will enter your grave and the day on which you will come out towards your Lord. What great days they will be.”3
120. Imam al-Baqir (a.s.) said, while congratulating a man for his newborn child: “I ask Allah to make him a [worthy] successor in your life and a successor after you, for indeed a man succeeds his father in his life and after his death.”4
121. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “The greatest day of a person is the day he is born, and his smallest day is the day he dies.”5
122. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “A man said when congratulating someone who was blessed with a son: “Congratulations for your newborn horseman.”
Imam Hasan (a.s.) said to him: “How do you know he will be a rider or a walker?”
The man said: “May I be sacrificed for you! Then what should I say?”
He (a.s.) said: “Say: you have thanked the Giver [of this bounty], and may the given be a blessing for you. May he reach his perfection and may He sustain you with His kindness.”6
123. al-Kafi, narrating from ‘Ali ibn al-Hakam, from one of the Shi’ah who said: “For the birth of one of his children, Abu al-Hasan Musa [al-Kazim] (a.s.) had a feast, and he fed fulazaj7 in large bowls to the people of Medina in mosques and lanes for three days.”8
(وَ سَلامٌ عَلَيْهِ يَوْمَ وُلِدَ وَ يَوْمَ يَمُوتُ وَ يَوْمَ يُبْعَثُ حَيًّا)
(وَ السَّلامُ عَلَيَّ يَوْمَ وُلِدْتُ وَ يَوْمَ أَمُوتُ وَ يَوْمَ أُبْعَثُ حَيًّا)
119. الإمام الباقر عليه السلام: يَا ابنَ الأيّامِ الثَّلاثِ، يَومُكَ الَّذي وُلِدتَ فيهِ، و يَومُكَ الَّذي تَنزِلُ فيهِ قَبرَكَ، ويَومُكَ الَّذي تَخرُجُ فيهِ إِلى رَبِّكَ، فَيَا لَهُ مِن يَومٍ عَظيمٍ.
120. عنه عليه السلام- في تَهنِئَتِهِ لِرَجُلٍ بِمَولودٍ أَسأَلُ اللهَ أن يَجعَلَهُ خَلَفاً مَعَكَ، وَ خَلَفاً بَعدَكَ، فَإِنَّ الرَّجُلَ يُخلِفُ أَباهُ فِي حَياتِهِ و مَوتِهِ.
121. الإمام الصادق عليه السلام: أكبَرُ ما يَكونُ الإِنسانُ يَومَ يولَدُ، و أصغَرُ ما يَكونُ يَومَ يَموتُ.
122. عنه عليه السلام: هَنَّأَ رَجُلٌ رَجُلًا أصابَ ابناً فَقالَ: يُهنِئُكَ الفارِسُ. فَقالَ لَهُ الحَسَنُ عليه السلام: ما عِلمُكَ يَكونُ فارِساً أو راجِلًا؟
قَالَ: جُعِلتُ فِداكَ فَما أَقولُ؟
قال: تَقولُ: شَكَرتَ الواهِبَ، و بورِكَ لَكَ فِي المَوهوبِ، و بَلَغَ أَشُدَّهُ، و رَزَقَكَ بِرَّهُ.
123. الكافي عن عليّ بن الحكم عن بعض أصحابنا: أولَمَ أبُو الحَسَنِ مُوسى عليه السلام وَليمَةً عَلى بَعضِ وُلدِهِ، فَأَطعَمَ أهلَ المَدينَةِ ثَلاثَةَ أيّامٍ الفالوذَجاتِ في الجِفانِ فِي المَساجِدِ وَ الأزِقَّةِ.
124. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “Washing the newborn baby is obligatory.”9
124. الإمام الصادق عليه السلام: غَسلُ المَولودِ واجِبٌ.
125. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “Whoever is granted a newborn and recites the Adhan in his right ear and the Iqamah in his left ear, Um al-Sibyan10 will not harm it.”11
126. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “If someone has a newborn child, he must recite the Adhan in his right ear and the Iqamah in his left ear, for this will bring security from the cursed Satan.”12
127. Sunan Abi Dawud, narrating from Abu Rafay’ who said: “When Fatimah (a.s.) gave birth to Hasan ibn ‘Ali (a.s.), I saw the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) reciting the Adhan in his ear.”13
128. Imam ‘Ali (a.s.) said: “When the time came for Fatimah to give birth to her child, the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) said to Asma’ bint ‘Umays and Um Salamah: “Stay with her so that when her baby is delivered and starts to cry, recite the Adhan in its right ear and the IqÁmah in its left ear, for whoever this is done to will be safeguarded from Satan, and then do not do anything until I come.”
When Fatimah delivered the baby, they did what he (s.a.w.) told them, then the Prophet (s.a.w.) came and cut his umbilical cord and put a little bit of his saliva in the newborn’s mouth and said: “O Allah! I seek refuge to You for him and his offspring from the vice of the cursed Satan.”14
129. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said, regarding some of what is done to an infant at the time of his birth: “Tell the midwife or anyone who is with her to recite the Adhan in his right ear so that the child would never become insane or followed by a jinn.”15
130. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said, mentioning some of the things to be done to an infant at the time of his birth: “Recite the Adhan in his right ear and the Iqamah in his left ear. Do this before cutting the umbilical cord, for the child will never be a coward and will not be afflicted by [the sickness of] Um al-Sibyan.”16
الأذانُ وَ الإِقامَةُ في أُذُنِ الوَليدِ
125. رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: مَن وُلِدَ لَهُ فَأَذَّنَ في أُذُنِهِ اليُمنى و أَقامَ في أُذُنِهِ اليُسرى، لَم يَضُرَّهُ أُمُّ الصِّبيانِ .
126. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: مَن وُلِدَ لَهُ مَولودٌ فَليُؤَذِّن في اذُنِهِ اليُمنى بِأَذانِ الصَّلاةِ، وَليُقِم فِي اليُسرى؛
فَإِنَّها عِصمَةٌ مِنَ الشَّيطانِ الرَّجيمِ.
127. سنن أبي داود عن أبي رافع: رَأَيتُ رَسولَ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله أذَّنَ في اذُنِ الحَسَنِ بنِ عَلِيّ حِينَ وَلَدَتهُ فاطِمَةُ بِالصَّلاةِ.
128. الإمام عليّ عليه السلام: لَمّا حَضَرَت وِلادَةُ فاطِمَةَ عليها السلام، قال رَسولُ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله لِأسماءَ بِنتِ عُمَيسٍ و امِّ سَلَمَةَ: احضَراها، فإِذا وَقَعَ وَلَدُها واستَهَلَّ فَأَذِّنا في اذُنِهِ اليُمنى وأَقِيما في اذُنِهِ اليُسرى؛ فَإِنَّهُ لا يُفعَلُ ذلِكَ بِمِثلِهِ إلّا عُصِمَ مِنَ الشَّيطانِ، و لا تُحدِثا شَيئا حَتّى آتِيَكُما.
فَلَمَّا وَلَدَت فَعَلَتا ذلِكَ، فَأتاهُ النَّبِيّ صلى الله عليه وآله فَسَرَّهُ وَ لَبَّأهُ بِريقِهِ، و قالَ: اللّهُمَّ إنِّي اعيذُهُ بِكَ و وُلدَهُ مِنَ الشَّيطانِ الرَّجيمِ.
129. الإمام الصادق عليه السلام- فيما يُفعَلُ بِالمَولودِ إذا وُلِدَ-: مُرُوا القابِلَةَ أو بَعضَ مَن يَليهِ أن تُقيمَ الصَّلاةَ في اذُنِهِ اليُمنى؛ فَلا يُصيبُهُ لَمَمٌ و لا تابِعَةٌ أبَداً.
130. عنه عليه السلام- أيضا-: و أذِّن في اذُنِهِ اليُمنى و أقِم فِي اليُسرى، تَفعَلُ بِهِ ذلِكَ قَبلَ أن تَقطَعَ سُرَّتَهُ؛ فَإِنَّهُ لا يَفزَعُ أبَداً، و لا تُصيبُهُ امُّ الصِّبيانِ.
131. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “The first thing a newborn should be fed is warm water.”17
132. Musnad Abu Ya’la, narrating from Abu Musa who said: “A son was born to me. I took him to the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) and he named him Ibrahim. He then fed him a date [as the first piece of food he ate], prayed that he be blessed, and he then returned him to me.”18
133. Sahih Muslim, narrating from ‘Aishah who said: “Newborns were brought to the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) and he blessed and was the first to feed them.”19
134. Imam ‘Ali (a.s.) said: “Feed your newborns firstly with dates, as the Prophet (s.a.w.) did so with Hasan and Husayn (a.s.).”20
135. al-Kafi, narrating from Yunus, from one of the companions that Abu Ja’far [al-Baqir] (a.s.) said: “The first food of a newborn should be the water of the Euphrates, and the Iqamah is to be recited in his ear.”
In another narration he (a.s.) said: “The first food that should be given to your children is water from the Euphrates and soil from the grave of Husayn (a.s.), and if that is not possible, then with rain water.”21
136. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “Let the first thing your children eat be the soil from the grave of Husayn (a.s.), for it is a safeguard.”22
137. Imam al-Ridha said, in al-Fiqh –a book attributed to him: “When a child is born, feed him first with water from the Euphrates if you are able to, otherwise with honey.”23
131. رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: يُحَنَّكُ المَولودُ بِالماءِ السُّخنِ.
132. مسند أبي يعلى عن أبي موسى: وُلِدَ لي غُلامٌ فَأتَيتُ بِهِ رَسولَ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله، فَسَمَّاهُ إبراهيمَ و حَنَّكَهُ بِتَمرَةٍ، و دَعا لَهُ بالبَرَكَةِ، و دَفَعَهُ إلَيّ.
133. صحيح مسلم عن عائشة: أنّ رسولَ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله كانَ يُؤتى بالصّبيانِ فَيُبَرِّكُ عَلَيهِم و يُحَنِّكُهُم.
134. الإمام عليّ عليه السلام: حَنِّكوا أولادَكُم بالتَّمرِ، هكَذا فَعَلَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وآله بِالحَسَنِ والحُسَينِ عليهما السلام.
135. الكافي عن يونس عن بعض أصحابه عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام: يُحَنَّكُ المَولودُ بِماءِ الفُراتِ، و يُقامُ في أُذنِهِ.
وفي رِوايةٍ اخرى: حَنِّكُوا أولادَكُم بِماءِ الفُراتِ و بِتُربَةِ قَبرِ الحُسَينِ عليه السلام، فَإن لَم يَكُن فَبِماءِ السَّماءِ.
136. الإمام الصادق عليه السلام: حَنِّكوا أولادَكُم بِتُربَةِ الحُسَينِ عليه السلام؛ فَإِنَّها أمانٌ.
137. الإمام الرضا عليه السلام- فِي الفِقهِ المَنسوبِ إلَيهِ وحَنِّكهُ بِماءِ الفُراتِ إن قَدَرتَ عَلَيهِ أو بِالعَسَلِ ساعَةَ يولَدُ.
138. Imam al-Kazim (a.s.) said: “Someone came to the Prophet (s.a.w.) and said: “O Messenger of Allah! What is the right of my child?”
He answered: “Choosing a good name for him, raising him well and facilitating a good life for him.”24
139. Imam al-Kazim (a.s.) said: “The first act of benevolence a man has to his child is choosing a good name for him, so every one of you must choose a good name for your child.”25
138. الإمام الكاظم عليه السلام: جاءَ رَجُلٌ إِلَى النَّبِيّ صلى الله عليه وآله، فَقالَ: يا رَسولَ اللهِ، ما حَقُّ ابنِي هذا؟
قالَ: تُحْسِنُ اسمَهُ و أدَبَهُ، وَضَعهُ مَوضِعَا حَسَناً.
139. عنه عليه السلام: أَوَّلُ ما يَبَرُّ الرَّجُلُ وَلَدَهُ أَن يُسَمِّيَهُ بِاسمٍ حَسَنٍ، فَليُحْسِن أَحَدُكُم اسمَ وَلَدِهِ.
140. Imam ‘Ali (a.s.) said: “Choose a name for your children before they are born. If you do not know whether the child is a male or a female, call them by the names which are good for both a male and a female, for the miscarriaged foetus will meet you on Judgment Day while you have not chosen a name for it, the miscarriage will say to its father: “Why didn’t you choose a name for me? Verily, the Messenger of Allah gave the name to MuÎsin before he was born.”26
تَسمِيَةُ الوَلَدِ قَبلَ أَن يولَدَ
140. الإمام عليّ عليه السلام: سَمّوا أَولادَكُم قَبلَ أَن يولَدوا، فَإن لَم تَدروا أَذَكَرٌ أَم انثى فَسَمُّوهُم بِالأَسماءِ الَّتي تَكُونُ لِلذَّكَرِ وَ الانثى؛ فَإِنَّ أَسقاطَكم إذا لَقوكُم يَومَ القِيامَةِ و لَم تُسَمُّوهُم يَقولُ السِّقطُ لِأَبيهِ: ألّا سَمَّيتَني؟ و قَد سَمَّى رَسولُ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله مُحسِنا قَبلَ أَن يولَد!
141. Sunan al-Tirmidhi, narrating from ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb, from his father from his grandfather who said: “Verily, the Prophet (s.a.w.) commanded the choosing of a name for a newborn on the seventh day [after his birth], and cutting the hair from him and offering a sacrifice.”27
سُنَّةُ أَهلِ البَيتِ فِي التَّسمِيَةِ
141. سنن الترمذي عن عمرو بن شعيب عن أبيه عن جدّه: أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وآله أَمَرَ بِتَسمِيَةِ المَولودِ يَومَ سابِعِهِ، و وَضعِ الأَذى عَنهُ، وَالعَقِّ.
142. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “The blessed names are: ‘Abdullah, ‘Abd al-Rahman and similar names that denote the servitude to Allah.”28
143. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “Indeed, the best of names are: ‘Abdullah, ‘Abd al-Rahman, Harithah and Hammam.”29
144. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “If you name the child Muhammad, honour him, make room for him in gatherings and do not frown at him.”30
145. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “If you name anyone Muhammad, do not disgrace him, do not frown at him and do not beat him. Blessed be the house that has a Muhammad, the gathering that has a Muhammad, and a company of friends that has a Muhammad.”31
146. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “There is no house that has the name Muhammad in it that will not be increased in its sustenance by Allah. So, if you have named a child Muhammad, you must not beat or insult him.”32
147. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “You name someone Muhammad and then you insult him!?”33
148. al-Kafi, narrating from al-Sakuni who said: “I went to Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) while I was sad and upset, and he said to me: “O’ Sakuni, why are you sad?”
I said: “A daughter has been born to me.”
He said: “O’ Sakuni, her weight is on the earth and her sustenance is from Allah. She lives outside the span of your lifetime, and she eats other than your sustenance.”
By Allah, he relieved me, and then he said: “What did you name her?”
I said: “Fatimah.”
He said: “Excellent!” Then he put his hand on his forehead and said: “The Messenger of Allah said: “The rights of the child on the father is that if the child is a male, the father should honour his mother, choose a good name for him, teach him the Book of Allah, purify him and teach him swimming. And if the child is a female, he should honour her mother, choose a good name for her, teach her [from] the Chapter of the Light, not teach her [from] the Chapter of Joseph34, not to place her in an upstairs room35, and to hasten in sending her to the house of her husband [for marriage].”
‘Be careful! Since you have named her Fatimah, you should not insult her, nor curse her, nor beat her.”36
149. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “He who is given four boys and does not name one of them Muhammad, has indeed been disloyal to me.”37
150. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “Name [your children] with the names of prophets.”38
151. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “There is no family wherein there is the name of a Divine Prophet save that Allah sends an angel to them to sanctify them from the morning prayer until evening.”39
152. Imam al-Baqir (a.s.) said: “The best name is the one which indicates the servitude40 [of Allah], and the best of them are the names of prophets.”41
153. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “There is no child that is born to us and not named Muhammad, and when seven days have passed, we keep the name if we want or we change it.”42
154. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “Someone came to the Prophet (s.a.w.) and said: “O Messenger of Allah! A child has been born to me, so what do I name him?” He said: “Name him by the dearest of names to me: Hamzah.”43
155. al-Kafi, narrating from ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn Muhammad ‘Azrami who said: “Mu’awiyah appointed Marwan ibn al-Hakam as the governor of Medina and ordered him to assign a salary for the young ones of Quraysh, and he did.”
Imam Zayn al-’Abidin [al-Sajjad] said: “I went to him and he asked: “What is your name?” I answered: “‘Ali ibn al-Husayn.” He asked: “What is your brother’s name?” I answered: “‘Ali.”
He said: ‘‘‘Ali and ‘Ali! What was your father after by naming all his sons ‘Ali?”
Then he paid my salary and I returned to my father [Imam Husayn] and told him what happened. He said: “Woe to the son of the blue-eyed44 woman and [animal] skin tanner. If I were given one hundred sons, I would name them nothing but ‘Ali.”45
156. Tafsir al-’Ayyashi, narrating from Rib’i ibn ‘Abdullah who said: “Abu ‘Abdullah [al-Sadiq] (a.s.) was asked: “May I be your ransom! We name [our offspring] by your names and the names of your fathers, does this benefit us?”
He said: “By Allah, yes it does, and is religion anything but love? Allah has said: ‘… If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive your sins...”4647
157. al-Kafi, narrating from Ibn Mayyah from Fulan ibn Hamid who said that he asked and sought advice from Abu ‘Abdullah [al-Sadiq] (a.s.) about the name of his son. The Imam said: “Name him by a name that indicates servitude.”
He said: “What are those names?”
He (a.s.) said: “[Names] like ‘Abd al-Rahman.”48
158. Imam al-Kazim (a.s.) said: “Poverty will not enter the house that has someone from the men with the name of Muhammad, Ahmad, ‘Ali, Hasan, Husayn, Ja’far, Talib, or ‘Abdullah, or from among the women with the name Fatimah.”49
159. Imam Hasan al-’Askari (a.s.) said to Ja’far ibn Sharif al-Jurjani: “May Allah give gratitude to Abu Ishaq Ibrahim ibn Isma’il for his service to our followers, and may He forgive his sins and bless him with a good son who believes in the truth. Tell him that al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali says: “Name your son Ahmad.”50
160. Kashf al-Ghummah, narrating from Ja’far ibn Muhammad al-Qalanisi, who said: “My brother Muhammad wrote to Abu Muhammad [al-’Askari] (a.s.) while his wife was pregnant and close to delivering and had asked him (a.s.) to pray to Allah to relieve her [from pain] and to bless him with a son and to choose a name for the newborn. The Imam wrote back in answer to him, praying to Allah for his well being and said: “May Allah bestow upon you a healthy son, and Muhammad and ‘Abd al-Rahman are good names.”
Then his wife gave birth to twins and he named one of them Muhammad and the other ‘Abd al-Rahman.”51
أفضَلُ الأَسماءِ و حَقُّ بَعضِها
142. رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله نِعمَ الأَسماءُ: عَبدُ اللهِ و عَبدُ الرَّحمنِ؛ الأَسماءُ المُعَبَّدَةُ.
143. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: ألا إِنّ خَيرَ الأَسماءِ: عَبدُ اللهِ و عَبدُ الرَّحمنِ و حارِثَةُ و هَمّامٌ.
144. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله «إِذا سَمَّيتُمُ الوَلَدَ مُحَمَّداً فَأَكرِمُوه، و أَوسِعوا لَه فِي المَجلِسِ، و لا تُقَبِّحوا لَهُ وَجها.
145. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: إِذا سَمَّيتُم مُحَمَّدا فلا تُقَبِّحوهُ، و لا تَجبَهوهُ، و لا تَضرِبوهُ، بورِكَ لِبَيتٍ فيهِ مُحَمَّدٌ، و مَجلِسٍ فيهِ مُحَمَّدٌ، و رِفقَةٍ فيها مُحَمَّدٌ.
146. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: ما مِن بَيتٍ فيهِ اسمُ مُحَمَّدٍ الّا أَوسَعَ اللهُ عَلَيهِمُ الرِّزقَ، فَإِذا سَمَّيتُموهُم فَلا تَضرِبوهُم، و لا تَشتِموهُم.
147. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: تُسَمُّونَ مُحَمَّداً ثُمَّ تَسُبّونَهُ!
148. الكافي عَنِ السَّكونِي: دَخَلتُ عَلى أَبي عَبدِ اللهِ عليه السلام وأَنَا مَغمومٌ مَكروبٌ، فَقالَ لي: يا سَكونِيُ مِمّا غَمُّكَ؟
قُلتُ: وُلِدَت لي ابنَةٌ!
فَقالَ: يا سَكونِيُ، عَلَى الأَرضِ ثِقلُها، وعَلَى اللهِ رِزقُها، تَعيشُ في غَيرِ أَجَلِكَ، و تَأكُلُ مِن غَيرِ رِزقِكَ.
فَسُرِّيَ وَ اللهِ عَنِّي. فَقالَ لِي: ما سَمَّيتَها؟
قالَ: آهٍ آهٍ! ثُمَّ وَضَعَ يَدَهُ عَلى جَبهَتِهِ فَقالَ: قالَ رَسولُ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله: «حَقُّ الوَلَدِ عَلى والِدِهِ إِذا كانَ ذَكَرا أَن يَستَفرِهَ أُمَّهُ، و يَستَحسِنَ اسمَهُ، و يُعَلِّمَهُ كِتابَ اللهِ، و يُطَهِّرَهُ، و يُعَلِّمَهُ السِّباحَةَ، و إِذا كَانَت انثى أَن يَستَفرِهَ أُمَّها، و يَستَحسِنَ اسمَها، و يُعَلِّمَها سورَةَ النّورِ، و لا يُعَلِّمها سورَةَ يوسُفَ، و لا يُنزِلَهَا الغُرَفَ ، و يُعَجِّلَ سَراحَها إِلى بَيتِ زَوجِها».
أَما إِذا سَمَّيتَها فاطِمَةَ فَلا تَسُبَّها، و لا تَلْعَنها و لا تَضرِبها.
149. رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله مَن وُلِدَ لَهُ أَربَعَةُ أَولادٍ لَم يُسَمِّ أَحَدَهُم بِاسمي، فَقَد جَفاني.
150. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: تَسَمَّوا بِأَسماءِ الأَنبِياءِ.
151. عنه صلى الله عليه وآله: ما مِن أَهلِ بَيتٍ فيهِم اسمُ نَبِيٍ إلّا بَعَثَ اللهُ إِلَيهِم مَلَكا يُقَدِّسُهُم مِن صَلاةِ الغَداةِ إلَى العِشاءِ.
152. الإمام الباقر عليه السلام: أَصدَقُ الأَسماءِ ما سُمِّيَ بِالعُبودِيَّةِ ، و أَفضَلُها أَسماءُ الأَنبِياءِ.
153. الإمام الصادق عليه السلام: لا يولَدُ لَنا وَلَدٌ إلّا سَمَّيناهُ مُحَمَّدا، فَإِذا مَضى لَنا سَبعَةُ أَيّامٍ فَإِن شِئنا غَيَّرنا، و إِن شِئنا تَرَكنا.
154. عنه عليه السلام: جاءَ رَجُلٌ إِلَى النَّبِيِ صلى الله عليه وآله، فَقالَ: يا رَسولَ اللهِ، وُلِدَ لي غُلامٌ فَماذا اسَمِّيهِ؟ قالَ: سَمِّهِ بِأَحَبِّ الأَسماءِ إلَيَ: حَمزَةَ.
155. الكافي عن عَبدِ الرَّحمنِ بنِ مُحمَّد العَزرمِيّ: استَعمَلَ مُعاوِيَةُ مَروانَ بنَ الحَكَمِ عَلَى المَدينَةِ، و أمَرَهُ أَن يَفرِضَ لِشَبابِ قُرَيشٍ، فَفَرَضَ لَهُم.
فَقالَ عَلِيُّ بنُ الحُسَينِ عليه السلام: فَأَتَيتُهُ فَقالَ: مَا اسمُكَ؟
فَقُلتُ عَليُ بنُ الحُسَينِ.
فَقالَ ما اسمُ أَخيكَ؟
قالَ: عَلِيّ و عَلِيّ! ما يُريدُ أَبوكَ أَن يَدَعَ أَحَدا مِن وُلدِهِ إلّا سَمّاهُ عَلِيّاً؟ ثُمَّ فَرَضَ لي، فَرَجَعتُ إِلى أَبي فَأَخبَرتُهُ. فَقالَ: وَيلي عَلَى ابنِ الزَّرقاءِ دَبّاغَةِ الأدَمِ، لَو وُلِدَ لي مِئَةٌ لأَحبَبتُ أَن لا اسَمِّيَ أَحَداً مِنهُم إِلّا عَلِيّاً.
156. تفسير العياشي عن ربعي بن عبدالله: قيلَ لِأَبي عَبدِ اللهِ عليه السلام: جُعِلتُ فِداكَ إِنّا نُسَمِّي بِأَسمائِكُم و أَسماءِ آبائِكُم، فَيَنفَعُنا ذلِكَ؟
فَقالَ: إِي وَ اللهِ، و هَلِ الدّينُ إلّا الحُبُّ؟ قالَ اللهُ: «إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّهُ وَ يَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ» .
157. الكافي عن ابنِ مَيَّاحٍ، عَن فُلانِ بنِ حَميدٍ: أَنَّهُ سَأَلَ أَبا عَبدِ اللهِ عليه السلام وشاوَرَهُ فِي اسمِ وَلَدِهِ، فَقالَ: سَمِّهِ بِأَسماءٍ مِنَ العُبُودِيَّةِ. فَقالَ: أَيّ الأَسماءِ هُوَ؟ فَقالَ: عَبدُ الرَّحمنِ.
158. الإمام الكاظم عليه السلام: لا يَدخُلُ الفَقرُ بَيتا فيهِ اسمُ مُحَمَّدٍ أَو أَحمَدَ أَو عَلِيٍ أَوِ الحَسَنِ أَوِ الحُسَينِ أَو جَعفَرٍ أَو طالِبٍ أَو عَبدِ اللهِ، أَو فاطِمَةَ مِنَ النِّساءِ.
159. الإمام العسكري عليه السلام- لِجَعفَرِ بنِ الشَّريفِ الجُرجانِيّ-: شَكَرَ اللهُ لِأَبي إِسحاقَ إِبراهيمَ بنِ إسماعيلَ صَنيعَتَهُ إِلى شيعَتِنا، و غَفَرَ لَهُ ذُنوبَهُ، و رَزَقَهُ ذَكَراً سَوِيّاً قائِلًا بِالحَقِّ، فَقُل لَهُ: يَقولُ لَكَ الحَسَنُ بنُ عَليّ: سَمِّ ابنَكَ أَحمَدَ.
160. كَشفُ الغمّة عن جعفر بن محمد القلانِسي: كَتَبَ مُحَمَّدٌ أَخي إِلى أَبي مُحَمَّدٍ عليه السلام وَ امرَأَتُهُ حامِلٌ مُقرِبٌ أَن يَدعُوَ اللهَ أَن يُخَلِّصَها و يَرزُقَهُ ذَكَراً، و يُسَمِّيَهُ. فَكَتَبَ يَدعُو اللهَ بِالصَّلاحِ وَ يَقولُ: رَزَقَكَ اللهُ ذَكَراً سَوِيّاً، و نِعمَ الاسمُ مُحَمَّدٌ و عَبدُ الرَّحمنِ. فَوَلَدَت اثنَين ... فَسَمَّى واحِداً مُحَمَّداً، وَ الآخَرَ ... عَبدَ الرَّحمنِ.
161. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “Do not name your children Hakam and Abu al-Hakam, for Allah is the Hakam (Arbitrator).”52
162. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “Do not name your son: Yasar, Rabah, Najih, or Aflah.”53
163. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “The worst names are: Dirar, Murrah, Harb, and Zalim.”54
164. Majma’ al-Zawa’id, narrating from ‘Abd al-Rahman ibn Abu Sabrah who said: “My father and I went to the Prophet (s.a.w.) who asked my father: “Is this your son?”
He answered: “Yes.”
He (s.a.w.) asked: “What is his name?”
He answered: “al-Hubab.”
He (s.a.w.) said: “Do not call him al-Hubab, for al-Hubab is Satan, but rather he [your son] is ‘Abd al-Rahman.”55
165. al-Mu‘jam al-Kabir, narrating from Ibn Buraydah from his father who said: “The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) prohibited anyone to be called Kalb (dog) or Kulaib.”56
166. Sunan Abu Dawud, narrating from Muhammad ibn ‘Amr ibn ‘Ata’ who said: “Zainab bint Abu Salamah asked him [Muhammad ibn ‘Amr ibn ‘Ata’]: “What did you name your daughter?”
He said: “I named her Barrah (Righteous).”
25 Graceful Dua for a Newborn Baby in Islam that we need to do to give a hope and blessing to the baby and become a good person in the.
It is recommended (mustahab) to congratulate the parents and family upon the birth of a child, and to supplicate (dua) for them and the child; since this adds to their happiness and creates an atmosphere of love and unity. The Holy Qur’an refers to glad tidings (bishara) given to Sayyiduna Ibrahim and Sayyiduna Zakariyya (peace be upon them both).
1) Allah Most High says regarding Sayyiduna Ibrahim (peace be upon him), “So We gave him [Ibrahim] the good news of a forbearing boy.” (Qur’an 37:101)
2) In reference to Sayyiduna Zakariyya (peace be upon him), Allah Most High says, “O Zakariyya, We give you the good news of a boy whose name is Yahya…” (Qur’an 19:7)
The above verses refer to Allah Most High giving glad tidings (bishara) to two of His Prophets (peace be upon them). There is a technical difference betweenbishara and congratulating (tahni’a), in that the former means to notify someone of good news which he was unaware of previously, whilst the latter refers to making dua’ and congratulating someone who is aware of the news. However, the notion is the same in both; that is, to express happiness due to the good news. (Ibn al-Qayyim, Tuhfat al-Mawlud p: 33)
3) Abu Burda relates from Sayyiduna Abu Musa (Allah be pleased with him) that he said, “A son was born to me, so I took him to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace). He named him Ibrahim, placed [some part of a] date in his mouth after chewing it (tahnik), supplicated for Allah’s blessing upon him, and then gave him back to me…” (Sahih al-Bukhari no: 5166)
In view of the above and other evidences, many classical scholars such as Imams al-Nawawi and Ibn al-Qayyim (Allah have mercy on them) state that it is recommended to congratulate and supplicate (make dua) upon the birth of a child. Imam Ibn al-Qayyim states, “If one is unable to give glad-tidings, it is recommended (mustahab) to congratulate.” (Tuhfat al-Mawlud p: 33)
As such, one should congratulate the parents and family – irrespective of whether the new born is a boy or girl – and make supplications that Allah bless the child, that the child grows up to be righteous and a means of coolness for the parents’ eyes, that Allah grant the child good health and well-being, and that Allah guide the parents to be thankful.
Some specific supplications have also been reported in this regard:
1) Sayyiduna Hasan al-Basri (Allah be pleased with him) advised a man to supplicate with the following words when congratulating new parents:
بَارَكَ اللَّهُ لَكَ فِي الـمَوْهُوبِ لَكَ، وَشَكَرْتَ الوَاهِبَ، وبَلَغَ أشُدَّهُ، وَرُزِقْتَ بِرَّهُ
“May Allah bless you in His gift to you, may you give thanks to the giver of this gift, may the child reach the maturity of years, and may you be granted its righteousness.”
Both Imam al-Nawawi in his Al-Adhkar (p: 349) and Imam Ibn al-Qayyim in his Tuhfat al-Mawlud (p: 35) relate this Dua from Hasan al-Basri (may Allah have mercy on them). It was originally reported by Ibn al-Ja’d in hisMusnad, Ibn Abi al-Dunya, Abu Bakr ibn al-Mundhir in his Al-Awsat and Ibn Adi in his Al-Kamil. The chain of transmission of this report has been classed as weak by some, but scholars such as Nawawi and Ibn al-Qayyim have recommended its recitation since it is merely from virtuous actions – as long as one does not consider it to be firmly established.
Imam al-Nawawi (Allah have mercy on him) states that it is also recommended for the one being congratulated, i.e. the new parents, to respond with the following or a similar Dua:
بَارَكَ اللَّهُ لَكَ، وبَارَكَ عَلَيْكَ، وجَزَاكَ اللَّهُ خَيْراً، ورَزَقَكَ اللَّهُ مِثْلَهُ، وأجْزَلَ ثَوَابَكَ
“May Allah bless you and shower His blessings upon you; and may Allah reward you with good, grant you the same and increase your reward.”
2) Ayyub al-Sakhtiyani (Allah have mercy on him), the great Imam and follower (tabi’i), would congratulate new parents with the following supplication:
جعله الله مباركاً عليك وعلى أمة محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم
“May Allah make the child a blessing for you and a blessing for the Umma of Muhammad (Allah bless him & give him peace).” (Recorded by Imam al-Tabarani 945 and others from Ayyub al-Sakhtiyani; Tabarani also reports this from Hasan al-Basri 946)
Giving gifts to the parents and for the newborn is also a good way of fostering friendship and love. However, it must be remembered that giving gifts must not become a mere a custom and they must not be expected or considered as obligatory.
And Allah knows best
Islamic Birthday Wishes for Muslims- These wishes plays a very significant role in one’s life as the birthday is the most memorable day in their life. At the point when a birthday individual gets all the exquisite writings, calls, cards, and messages from social media this all makes them feel good and upbeat.
Also, they get consoling and refreshing feeling to see that so many individuals would take a few seconds out of their busy day to acknowledge their existence once a year.
On the note point that individuals should express gratitude toward the friends and relatives who have greeted and celebrated their birthday. This article will list down all the beautiful Islamic ways to wish a Birthday to a Muslim individual. Thus if someone is celebrating his/her birthday, be sure to send your warmest happy birthday wishes. Here are some samples of Islamic birthday wishes that might be an inspiration for you.
These are some points that a Muslim individual should keep in mind while celebrating someone’s or their own birthday.
Here are Islamic Quotes About Love-50 Best Quotes About Love in Islam
RECOMMENDED: Muslim Wedding Gift Ideas-20 best Gifts for Islamic Weddings
Birthdays are usually the occasions for happiness and feasting. Relatives and friends gather at the event referring to Birthday and wish numerous happy returns of the day and offer their blessings. They carry with them wonderful presents and cards. Do have a look at this guide on Is Hijab Compulsory in Islam? Everything You Need to know About Wearing Hijab
Best friends are such a gift in life, and it’s important to find ways to surprise your best friend every now and then to remind them how special they are. But make sure that you do all surprises in time.
Becoming a parent is the moment when all of the life’s battles suddenly seem worth fighting for. Other family friends congratulating the parents of the newborn not only bring the parents into the comfort zone but also make them feel more relaxed and happy. Therefore with my point of view, individuals should celebrate the new entry in the family. RECOMMENDED: Islamic Quotes About Life-50 Best Quotes which describes life in Islam
A content writer by the day and a reader by the night – two things that she loves the most. When Zoona isn’t writing, she’ll either be thinking of what to bake next or where to travel next. When it comes to writing, she has always been a storyteller and one of her short stories was published in 2014 in the Oxford University Press’s anthology of contemporary short stories, I’ll Find My Way. Her love for fiction writing also drove her to complete a short course on “How Writers Write Fiction,” at The University of Iowa. Her other interests include binge-watching Netflix or online gaming.
Islamic forum: As Salamu alaikum respected elders, brothers, sisters, Alhmadulillah, Masha Allah, both baby and mother are doing fine. Allah سبحانه وتعالى readily accept everyones duas and well wishes for you and your.
The birth of a baby is one of the happiest happenings in the world… all parents deserve a medal for each child they give rise to. In the absence of medals, here are messages to lift the spirit of new parents:
Having a Male child is a great blessing which deserves congratulations. Here are Sweet Congratulations on your New Born Baby Boy you can send to your loved ones for giving birth a Baby Boy.
1. There are very few feelings that can compete with the feeling of having a bouncing baby boy! We look forward to seeing you scold and hold him simultaneously! Congratulations
2. Congratulations on your new job! I trust you’ll do your work diligently and enjoy the dividends when you’re older.
3. No word is befitting enough to describe the kind of beauty God has given you to nurture and care for. Best wishes
4. Someone said the way you know if it’s the one for you is if it’s both scary and exciting…Trust me, nothing in the world combines these feelings like having a baby! Congratulations
5. Everything about a baby that comes off as stress is made up for in other beautiful things like the baby’s smile and smell… May these beauties not elude you in the journey of parenting.
6. Sending you loads of love and unending happiness all because of the little cute boy you’re holding dearly.
7. You must have felt the most painful bliss pushing such an eye candy out of you. Be the best parents
8. The arrival of a baby is a sign of something beautiful that happened, a show of beauty and an assurance of a greater tomorrow. So glad to have a new baby around!
9. I congratulate the parents of new king amazing. May the rest of his years be as amazing as his birth.
10. People talk fondly of the joy that comes with holding a newborn. I’m so happy that you get to have this joy for the next few years!
11. I’m so happy to see that you’ve been used to bring a prince charming into a world filled with princesses in distress.
May this prince be a darling!
12. How does it feel to carry a nation who smiles, cries and kicks? A baby is the most emotional future catalyst, may yours catalyze nothing but greatness.
13. I’ve heard once that parenting equals precious agony. My confusion about this statement did not last as I quickly agreed that though parenting can be difficult, it’s still the most rewarding job yet… you will be rewarded with lots of beautiful smiles and a role model tag. Congratulations!
14. Wishing you a future filled with laughter, joy and beginning of greater things with your new baby boy!
15. What a miracle to behold a tiny little boy and envision how big this little one will become…God bless this new life.
16. Know this; you’re representing God in the life of this little adorable boy because God cannot be everywhere, He’s entrusted one of his treasures in your care. May the work be absolutely amazing for you.
17. Babies are gifts from God. Consider your self extremely blessed for getting a cute boy like yours. Congratulations!
18. Wow! It feels like the end but it’s just the beginning of a journey with this new life. Enjoy it!
19. It feels good to know we have another Miracle in the world, feels even better to know this Miracle is in great hands! Congratulations
20. You’re welcome, baby boy! You’re so lucky to have your parents and they are so blessed to have you.
21. This world needs a Miracle like your bouncing baby boy. Congratulations dear!
22. A son will always be protective of his family. You’re so lucky to have a protector! Congratulations
23. Get ready for noise, dirt, unending laughter and unforgettable moments. Enjoy parenting
24. Congratulations on the birth of your new son! May his days with you be known for joy unspeakable and unrepentant happiness.
25. He’s here! The amazing boy with the most adorable smile and the cutest face has left the tummy to be with mummy! Best wishes
26. Little boys are daring and fun, bringing joy, little scare and many muddy footprints into the house. Congratulations on having one who’s really cute
27. I share in your joy and send my best wishes on the arrival of your newborn baby.
28. It’s time for a full-time job as a provider, guide and protector! Happy parenting.
29. Congratulations on having your first baby boy. He’s guaranteed to keep you both on your toes!
30. Whatever this little one desires to be later, I’m certain he’ll be successful.
31. Boys are born too. It’s the number of hugs and the intensity of love they get that makes them into what they later become… I trust that you both will give this one your best. I wish you the best
32. Congratulations on the arrival of your dear son as he fills your world with everything boyish, fun and heart racing.
33. A baby boy is daddy’s junior and mummy’s protector! Congratulations to the both of you on the wonderful addition.
34. Welcome boy. Your parents and l can’t wait to watch you transform into the greatness you’re sure to be.
35. Now that your baby boy is here, expect to shout and smile more. May the shout of joy never cease.
36. Your eyes will continually behold the beauty that you just birthed as you experience his first everything. Enjoy!
37. You guys deserve the best things of the world..I’m so excited that you get to experience the greatest joy ever landing in your home. May this joy be forever.
38. Parenthood is one of the most amazing phases in someone’s life. Enjoy this stage as you welcome your baby boy!
39. How great that your curiosity has been chuffed with a healthy baby boy. May you have the greater satisfaction of leading him to greatness
40. I am so happy for you! Parenthood is an interesting journey, enjoy yours!
41. A baby is a gift that never stops giving joy, experience, and laughter. You have a boy gift.
42. You must be special to have one of God’s angels as a baby boy. Congratulations!
43. A tip for the new parents: you’re going to laugh a lot but probably going to cry as much. Congratulations.
44. You have a new life to care for now. It’s a beautiful addition that will forever bring smiles to your face. Best wishes!
45. A star boy has been born today. His parents are the most blessed of all. May he continually be a blessing and a source of joy!
46. How blissful to have a cute one who has your blood flowing in his vein. Congratulations on having a little you around.
47. Nothing exciting can beat the excitement of getting to know you now have a little one.
Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy.
48. From today, people’s perception of you changes. It’s one of the things that come with beings parents. May you be wonderful ones to your baby boy.
49. The kick you had to enjoy for months is now lying beautifully in your lap with his adorable eyes and infectious smile. Hug him!
50. Cheers to you! You now have a boy in your family. How exhilarating!
Having a Female child is a great blessing which deserves congratulations. Here are Sweet Congratulations on your New Born Baby Girl you can send to your loved ones for giving birth a Baby Girl.
1. As the parents of a wonderful baby girl, your life will be filled with all things delicate, fun and jittery. Enjoy!
2. Congratulations on the birth of your girl. I see her being just as kind as her mother and as strong as her daddy! Perfect!
3. God has blessed you people with a beautiful baby girl. May she bring more blessings as she thrives gracefully.
4. Get ready to behave like a little princess’s parent because this baby of yours is a total princess!
5. She’s a lot like her father in looks, it won’t be bad at all if she grows to become an amazing woman like her mother. Best wishes to the parents
6. Cherish every moment you’ll have with this darling girl. soon to grow to be a Wonderful bride.
7. Congratulations on the birth of your darling daughter. Be sure to cherish every moment and never forget all the memories you’ll have with her.
8. We are extremely joyful to congratulate you on the birth of your darling princess. May your years with her be mind blowing
9. It’s so exciting to celebrate the birth of greatness. May the life of her parents be filled with all the good tidings that follow greatness
10. She’s a splitting image of her parents’ awesomeness, even at birth.
11. Congratulations to the proud mum and dad. Your little girl is bound to make you even more proud as the years go by
12. I wish your darling girl all shades of affection and poise as she finds a home today …
13. Warmest celebration on the little girl’s behalf. She deserves to have all the happiness in the world
14. I have no doubt she’s come bearing love, peace and joy because I can already feel the aura of these wonderful things.
15. Children are God’s heritage. May this little one grow into God’s idea of a virtuous woman.
16. Congratulations to the cute and delicate girl now who’ll eventually become beautiful and strong as she’s destined to be.
17. Congratulations to both of you for getting God’s most resolute blessing. A child!
It’s more mind-blowing that you get to have a baby girl.
18. I am sure your life henceforth will be filled with wonderful moments and loads of pretty things as you now have a princess to share everything with
19. I am pretty glad that this baby gets to have the best parents to hug and hold for years to come
20. I heard the good news! It made my heart dance excitedly. Congratulations to you both on being the newest parents in town!
21. What a gorgeous addition to a beautiful family. Now, your family is a centre of everything sweet!
22. A baby is a blessing and a baby girl is the most blessed blessing. It must feel great to have this blessing as a family.
23. What a way to make an already wonderful family a complete one… Congratulations on the arrival of your baby
24. You now have a little girl to think of. May she feel your thoughts with bliss. Congratulations
25. I celebrate with you as you welcome your beautiful bundle of joy! Wish you happy moments with your little one.
26. The sound of joy is filling your home in the most continuous way, congratulations! I’m so happy for you
27. The most exciting part of being parents is that you get to see your little self in your little one. congratulations.
28. I welcome you and your little one to parenthood and childhood respectively. May you all be blessings to one another.
29. Everyone deserves to witness the run around of a little adorable princess. I’m glad you get to experience this!
30. May you find fulfillment in your new job as parents to an amazing personality who’s still so fragile!
31. May you have the wisdom to guide and nurture this little one into greatness.
32. All couples pray to have the gift of children. You’re so lucky to have what many people pray for. Best wishes
33. Just like yesterday, your birth happened. Doesn’t it feel great to be a vessel through which another is birthed? I bet it is. Congratulations buddies!
34. It feels like Christmas, feels like the birth of a star. Your little girl is evoking so much sweetness at birth… I have no doubt that tomorrow is great.
35. I’m certain of one single fact; This baby is so blessed to have you both as her parents. Warm wishes.
36. I’m so happy you get to experience the joy of parenting at this stage…
37. Your family is growing so beautifully. I wish you growth in sweetness and grace.
38. I wish you patience and temperance in your new role as parents. You’ll be needing them
39. Dear little one, You may not get to read this, but let it be known that somewhere in the record, someone said you’re destined for greatness. Welcome to the world…
40. From now on, you get a little girl to wake up to. Embrace the task! Best wishes.
41. An opportunity to raise a woman who’ll make a dent in the world has now been presented to you. Don’t misuse it!
42. It’s a huge responsibility but I believe you’ll overcome the challenges gracefully. Congratulations!
43. Parenting is the most overlooked job. But, it is one of the jobs that can stretch you and make you the best version of yourself. May you find this stage of your life worthy of documenting.
44. She’s already a breath of fresh air. May the coming years not tamper with the awesome atmosphere.
45. This little one is here to give the world a reason to smile, laugh and be the best no matter what.
46. Sending loads of blessings to the amazing parents of the adorable little girl
47. Congratulations on being at the receiving end of a wonderful wonder. May she never leave you to wander.
48. May she be an oasis of joy to everyone around especially her parents. So good to have a little princess around
49. Welcome home baby girl. We’re so glad that you’ve satisfied our expectation with your cuteness and aura of bliss.
50. I can hardly wait to see you running around shouting mommy. You’ve spent just a day with us and something tells me you’re going to be full of life! Welcome baby.
Check out our islamic baby card selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from Muslim New Baby Greeting card . Muslim baby, Infant black and white cards printable, Muslim nursery Decor, Montessori infant cards.