Sending you all happy holiday wishes! I'm so grateful you're in my life.
BOOKING TERMS & CONDITIONS
LODGE COACHES – Fair Trading Agreement
1. YOU PAY A DEPOSIT. When you make your booking you must complete a booking form, accepting on behalf of all your party the terms of the Fair Trading Agreement, and pay a deposit of – (a) £75.00 per person on all United Kingdom coach holidays; (b) £50.00 per person on all holidays outside the United Kingdom. All monies paid to Lodge Coaches are held by him/her on your behalf until you receive our confirmation.
2. YOU PAY THE BALANCE. The balance of the fare must be paid via the office at which you made your booking, at least eight weeks before the holiday departure date. If you book within the applicable balance due period you must pay the full holiday cost at the time of booking. If the balance is not paid in time, we reserve the right to cancel your holiday, retain your deposit, and apply cancellation charges set out in Paragraph 4 ‘If you Cancel Your Holiday.’
3. IF YOU CHANGE YOUR BOOKING. If, after our confirmation has been issued, you wish to change to another of our holidays, or change departure date, we will do our utmost to make the changes, provided that written notification is received at our offices from the person who signed the Booking Form, not later than the date on which the balance of the original holiday cost was due for payment. This must be accompanied by a payment of £20 to cover administration costs. Any alteration by you made later than the original balance date will be treated as a cancellation of the original booking and will be subject to the cancellation charge set out below. Other alterations such as the addition of requests or change of pick-up point that require a reconfirmation to be issued must be notified and accompanied by a payment of £10 to cover administration costs.
4. IF YOU CANCEL YOUR HOLIDAY. You, or any members of your party may cancel your holiday at any time provided that the cancellation is made by the person signing the booking form and is communicated to us in writing via the office at which you made your booking. As this incurs administration costs we will retain your deposit and, in addition, apply cancellation charges up to the maximum shown below:- Period before departure within which written cancellation is received. Amount of cancellation charge shown as % of holiday price prior to 42 days before departure, deposit only.
28-42 days = 30% 14-27 days = 45%
7-13 days = 60% 1-6 days = 100%
5. IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT. If you have a problem during your holiday, please inform your Tour Manager or the relevant supplier/resort representative immediately who will endeavour to put things right. If your complaint cannot be completely resolved locally, you must complete a report form which can be obtained from your Tour Manager or local representative. Please follow this up within 14 days of your return home by writing to us, Lodge Coaches, The Garage, High Easter, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 4QR giving your original booking reference number and all other relevant information. It is therefore a condition of this contract that you communicate any problem to the supplier of the services in question AND to our representative whilst in resort and obtain a written report form. If you fail to follow this simple procedure we cannot accept responsibility as we have been deprived of the opportunity to investigate and rectify the problem.
6. STATUTORY AUTHORITIES. This brochure is issued subject to applicable Acts of Parliament and Government Regulations and The Company reserved the right to modify itineraries to conform with requests from the competent authorities in the United Kingdom and any other sovereign state through which the tours run.
7. CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE. When you travel on an aircraft, train or ship, the terms of carriage of that carrier apply and are subject to National and International conditions which may limit or exclude liability. Your contract made under the terms of the Fair Trading Agreement is subject to English (Scottish) law and jurisdiction. Some coach journeys are operated by vehicles other than those owned by Lodge Coaches and the specification may be different to that detailed in this brochure. The Public Service Vehicle (Conduct of Drivers, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations as amended in 1990, apply to all coaches throughout any holiday in the UK.
8. OTHER TERMS. On a holiday you may not:- (a) Bring a pet or any other animal (other than Guide Dogs, subject to availability of suitable seating location, in the UK and Eire only, and by arrangement, (b) Play with a radio or a cassette player on a coach. Lodge Coaches reserves the unconditional right to refuse a booking or terminate a clients holiday in the event of unreasonable conduct which in Lodge Coaches opinion is likely to cause damage, distress, danger or annoyance to other clients, employees, property or to any third party. If you are prevented from travelling or continuing your holiday by such a termination, Lodge Coaches responsibility for your holiday thereupon ceases. Full cancellation charges will apply and Lodge Coaches will be under no obligation for any refund, compensation or loss which you may incur. You are responsible for ensuring that you are at the correct departure point at the correct, and we cannot be liable for any loss or expense suffered by passengers because of their late arrival at any departure point. Excursions are included in the price of most holidays and refunds cannot be made for passengers not wishing to go on these excursions. Admission fees to buildings, grounds etc. are not included in the price of the holiday unless otherwise stated in the brochure.
9. HOLIDAY INSURANCE. It is a condition of your contract with Lodge Coaches that you should take out insurance to cover you in the event of illness, personal injury or death during the course of your holiday. Please apply for policy cover. If you have your own insurance, details should be recorded on the disclaimer form on the reverse of the booking form. To view a copy of our insurance policy, please click here. To view a copy of our insurance policy information document, please click here.
10. PASSPORT. For all Continental holidays you will require a full 10 year British Passport. If you have any doubts about your status as a resident British subject or you do not hold a full British Passport, you must check with the Embassies or Consulates of the countries to be visited to confirm the passport or visa requirements needed in your particular circumstances. We cannot accept responsibility if passengers are not in possession of the correct travel documents.
11. HEALTH. Under normal circumstances most Western European Countries do not require visitors to be vaccinated. However, we will indicate any known vaccination or other health requirements where possible for each country to be visited. If you are not sure of the health requirements of the country you are visiting, you are advised to check with your own doctor before travelling.
OUR PROMISE TO YOU
1. WE RESERVE YOUR HOLIDAY. When you or your travel agent has provisionally confirmed that we have available space on the holiday of your choice, a confirmation invoice will be forwarded to you normally with 14 days of receipt of your signed booking forma and the contract is made between us when you receive this confirmation.
2. YOUR HOLIDAY PRICE. UK Holidays. The price of your holiday is guaranteed and will not be subject to any surcharges except for those resulting from (fuel, government action including additional bonding or licensing requirements and VAT). In all cases we reserve the right to pass these amounts on in full. Holiday prices include all coach travel, hotel accommodation and meals as specified in the holiday description and VAT at the current rate where applicable. Morning coffee, afternoon tea and other refreshments are not included. Some hotels may make a small additional charge for porterage and tea or coffee served after lunch and dinner. Gratuities to the hotel staff and driver/couriers are discretionary. European Holidays. No Price Guarantee (i.e. any or all permissible elements may be surcharged). The price of your holiday is subject to surcharges on the following items: Governmental action, VAT, currency, aircraft fuel, overflying charges, airport charges and increases in scheduled air fare. Even in this case, we will absorb an amount equivalent to 2% of the holiday price which excludes insurance premiums and any amendment charges. Only amounts in excess of this 2% will be surcharged but where a surcharge is payable there will be an administration charge of 50p per person together with an amount to cover agents commission. If this means paying more than 10% on the holiday price, you will be entitled to cancel your holiday with a full refund of all money paid except for any premium paid to us for holiday insurance and amendment charges. Should you decide to cancel because of this, you must exercise your right to do so within 14 days from the issue date printed on the invoice. As the heading suggests, this paragraph should be used where any or all of the stated elements (Governmental action etc.) may be liable to surcharge. Surcharges will not be imposed within 30 days of departure.
COUNTRY EXCHANGE RATE
Most of our tours visit countries which use the Euro. If you are unsure of the currency and/or exchange rate used on your particular holiday please contact Lodge Coaches for advice.
3. IF WE CHANGE YOUR HOLIDAY. The arrangements for your holidays in this brochure are made many months in advance and changes are sometimes unavoidable. Most of these changes may be very minor but where they are significant we will notify you as soon as is reasonably possible before your departure date. A significant change would be regarded as changes in the departure date, departure point, or resort area, reducing the quality of your main hotel (not single overnight hotels on touring holidays) or a change of tour itinerary which involves a destination being completely eliminated from the revised itinerary or reducing the specification of the coach. In the event of a significant change you may decide to: (a) continue with the holiday as amended or (b) accept an alternative holiday which we may offer to you or (c) cancel your booking. If you choose (a) or (b) we will pay you compensation on the scale below. If you choose (c) we will refund all monies paid by you, plus compensation on the scale below, no other claims for compensation or expenses will be considered. Period before departure within which a ‘significant change’ is notified to you or your travel agent:
Compensation per person: More than 42 days: Nil; 29-42 days: £5.00; 15-28 days: £10.00; 0-7 days: £20.00
4. IF WE CANCEL YOUR HOLIDAY. It is necessary for there to be a minimum number of passengers in order to operator a tour. In certain circumstances, therefore, we may have to cancel your holiday, and if this should occur we will return to you all the money you have paid to us, or offer you a suitable alternative. However, we will not cancel your holiday: (a) Immediately prior to the departure date unless you have not paid for your holiday in full: If we then cancel your holiday you will be entitled to either a comparable holiday or a full refund. (b) After the balance due date, except as a result of hostilities, political unrest or other circumstances amounting to force majeure (or other options as necessary). If we have to cancel your holiday at any time, Lodge Coaches is liable only for any monies you may have paid to Lodge Coaches at the time of cancellation and for the compensation payments as detailed in paragraph 3.
5. WHAT HAPPENS TO COMPLAINTS. All complaints that are received are thoroughly investigated and customers are kept informed at each stage of the investigation. Sometimes the investigations can take time when awaiting a response from hoteliers. We can normally agree an amicable settlement of the few serious complaints we receive, if the complaint is found to be genuine. (See: IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT: PARAGRAPH 5).
Arbitration Conditions: Disputes arising out of, or in connection with, this contract which cannot be amicably settled, may (if the customer so wishes) be referred to arbitration under a special scheme which, though devised by arrangements with the Bus and Coach Council, is administered quite independently by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. The Scheme (details of which will be supplied on request) provides for a simple and inexpensive method of arbitration on documents alone with restricted liability on the customer in respect of costs. The Scheme does not apply to claims for an amount greater than £1,500 per person. There is also a limit of £7,500 per booking form. Neither does it apply to claims which are solely or mainly in respect of physical injury or illness or the consequences of such injury or illness. (There is a time limit of 9 months from the date of return.) Please note that correspondence received between June and September may take us longer to respond to.
6. OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO YOU. We accept responsibility for ensuring that all component parts of your holiday as described in this brochure are supplied to you to a reasonable standard and this includes Optional Excursions purchased through our employees or agents. If any such part is not provided in the advertised manner, we will pay you reasonable compensation unless the non-provision was due to circumstances which we could not predict and which were beyond our control such as adverse weather, road or traffic conditions or the matters referred to in paragraph 4 (b) above.
(i) Please remember that some amenities (e.g. hotel lifts, swimming pools etc.) require servicing and cleaning and may not therefore be available at all times. Some services may be affected by weather conditions and their availability is entirely at the discretion of the provider of the service. Entertainment (particularly live entertainment) provided by hotels is frequently subject to demand and its nature and/or frequency may be varied if there is a lack of demand or insufficient numbers staying in the hotel.
(ii) Some excursion itineraries include the use of ferries and other forms of transport which can be affected by inclement weather, and may have to be cancelled or arrangements changes. Whenever possible a suitable alternative excursion will be offered.
(iii) The published running times of services are estimates only and we will not be liable for any loss (howsoever caused) arising from delay or failure to operate services in accordance with published timings.
7. PERSONAL INJURY (WHILST PARTICIPATING IN ARRANGEMENTS MADE BY US). Lodge Coaches has taken all reasonable and proper steps to ensure that proper arrangements have been made for all the holidays which are advertised in this brochure, including Optional Excursions offered by our employees or agents and that the suppliers of all the services are efficient, safe and reputable and that they comply with the local and national laws and regulations of the country in which they provide those services. Whilst we have no direct control over the provision of services to you by suppliers, we will pay to our clients the equivalent of such damages as they would be entitled to receive under English Law in an English Court for any personal injury to the client, including illness or death, caused by the failure to perform or the improper performance of such services by the servants or agents of ourselves or any of our suppliers contracted or sub-contracted by us to provide any part of the arrangements for your holiday as described in this brochure where such failure or improper performance is due to the fault of such person and not an event which such person could foresee or forestall even if they had taken all due care. NOTE: We will make payments as stated above provided: (a) that claims for personal injury are notified to us within 3 months of the return from holiday (b) the injured client(s) assign to Lodge Coaches any rights against a supplier or other person or party they may have relating to the claim (c) they agree to co-operate fully with us should we or our insurers wish to enforce those rights which have been assigned to us or to which we are subrogated and (d) such payment limited in the case of transport by water or air to a maximum of such sums as would be obtained under the provisions of the appropriate International Conventions.
This assignment is necessary to enable us to try and recover from suppliers any compensation we have paid to clients, and associated costs arising from personal injury to clients caused by the fault of those suppliers. If we recover more than such compensation and costs, any excess will be paid to the injured clients.
8. PERSONAL INJURY (UNCONNECTED WITH ARRANGEMENTS MADE BY US). Where appropriate and subject to our reasonable discretion, we will afford general assistance to clients who through misadventure suffer illness, personal injury or death whilst travelling on a Lodge Coaches holiday arising out of an activity which does not form part of the advertised itinerary nor part of an excursion offered through the company, and which is the responsibility of a third party.
HOLIDAY INFORMATION (NOT PART OF CONTRACT)
1. LUGGAGE. We ask you to keep luggage down to one medium sized suitcase per person, but a small hold-all can also be taken on board the coach.
2. SEAT ALLOCATION AND SPECIFICATION. Requests for a particular seat can be made on most holidays when booking, but since allocations are made on a first come first served basis, early booking is advisable. When bookings are made with us you will be offered the best seats that are available on the coach at that time. Therefore, if you do have anyone who wishes to join you at a later date, do enquire at Lodge Coaches who will check with our Reservations Department for any vacancies. There is a seating plan of the coach for each holiday, but ii is possible that on occasions, for operational reasons, a coach of different configuration may be used and we must, therefore, reserve the right to alter a seating plan and allocate seats other than those you have booked, although this will be avoided as far as possible. We shall have no liability in relation to any such change of specification. Specific seats will not be allocated on coaches which operate on feeder services between joining points and main holiday departure points, on coaches which carry out transfers to and from air and seaport or on Lodge Coaches connecting services.
3. SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ON ALL OUR COACH TOURS.
4. TRAVEL DOCUMENTS. When you have paid the balance we will either send to you or the Travel Office through which the booking was made, all the necessary labels, so that you receive them in good time before the holiday departure date. Certain documents, for example air or boat tickets, may have to be retained and your driver or courier will then issue them to you at the relevant port.
5. SPECIAL CARE FOR THE DISABLED. The holidays in this brochure have been carefully planned to include as much of interest as possible. Inevitably some of the holidays include lengthy periods of travel and some walking on sightseeing excursions. Additionally, many of the hotels will have steps to contend with and may not possess lifts, and although we will try our best to look after disabled passengers, it is important that you enter the word DISABLED in block capitals in the special requirements section of the booking form, together with a brief description of your disability. We will make every endeavour to minimise the discomfort and inconvenience, but for obvious reasons are unable to make any guarantees.
6. SPECIAL DIETS. If you require a special diet you must inform us at the time of booking with a copy of the diet. This will be notified to the hotel or hotels on your holiday but on certain holidays the hotels used are tourist class and whilst offering value for money within the price range, they may not have facilities to cope with special diets. Any extra costs incurred must be paid to the hotel by yourself before departure from the hotel.
7. GROUND FLOOR ACCOMMODATION. There is usually a limited number of ground or low floor rooms available and requests for this accommodation must be made in the ‘Special Requirements’ section of the booking form, but this type of accommodation cannot be guaranteed. If lifts are available at a hotel the facility will be shown on the holiday page.
8. SINGLE ROOMS. On any holiday there are only a limited number of single rooms. When a single room is available it may be subject to a supplementary charge and this will be shown on the brochure page.
9. ENTERTAINMENT. Some of our hotels arrange additional entertainment which could include music, dancing, film shows, bingo etc. Entertainment offered by hotels is indicated in the hotel description on the holiday page. The nature and frequency of the entertainment presented is at the discretion of the hotel and therefore not guaranteed and could be withdrawn if there is a lack of demand or insufficient numbers in the hotel.
10. PUBLICATION DATE: October 2017.
HOLIDAY TRAVEL INSURANCE
HOLIDAY TRAVEL INSURANCE
Travel insurance is a vital aspect to booking a holiday, giving you protection against unforeseen circumstances that could otherwise spoil your holiday. It is important that you purchase properly covers your participation in whatever activities you make at the time that you make your booking. To assist you with this, we have arranged competitive travel insurance from Travel & General Insurances Services Ltd to specifically meet your needs on your holiday.
J W Lodge & Sons Ltd is an Appointed Representative of ITC Compliance Ltd who is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Full details can be found at www.fca.org.uk
Should you wish to take out this travel insurance please include the appropriate premium when booking your holiday.
DEMANDS AND NEEDS
This insurance policy will suit the demands and needs of an individual or group (where applicable) who have no excluded medical condition(s), are travelling in countries included within the policy terms and who wish to insure themselves against unforeseen circumstances/events detailed in the cover section below. Subject to the terms, conditions and maximum specified sums insured.
We will not provide you with advice about the suitability of this product for your individual needs but will be happy to provide you with factual information.
We summarise below the details of the insurance cover provided which also includes 24-hour emergency service from Mayday Assistance Limited. The following is a brief summary of the cover available. Full details of cover and exclusions will be forwarded with your confirmation of booking. In any event you may ask for a specimen copy of the policy wording before booking should you wish to examine this in advance.
We shall not be liable for claims where at the time of taking out this policy and between that time and your departure:
a) Your are aware of any medical condition or set of circumstances that could reasonably be expected to give rise to a claim (for example the state of health of a close relative, business associate or any person on whom your travel plans depend).
b) The insured person whose medical condition gives rise to a claim;
i) is receiving, or on a waiting list for, surgery, in-patient treatment or investigations in a hospital, clinic or nursing home.
ii) is travelling against any health requirements stipulated by the carrier, their handling agents or other public transport provider.
iii) is travelling against the advice of a Medical Practitioner or for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment abroad.
iv) has been given a terminal prognosis.
Please note: If you are on medication at the time of travel, your medical condition(s) must be stable and well controlled.
If you are travelling outside of the UK, you must notify the Change of Health helpline immediately if a change in health occurs (including any change to medication) between the date this policy is issued and your scheduled date of departure.
Please note our Holiday Travel Insurance Scheme is only available to United Kingdom residents.
SIGNIFICANT EXCLUSIONS – RESIDENCY
This insurance is available only to residents of the United Kingdom.
In addition to the above, the policy also contains the following exclusions:
1. Any costs of repatriation or evacuation as a result of Your taking part in any excluded Hazardous Activities and sports including dangerous expeditions or from an area which is considered by Us to be a War Risk or Civil Hazard area.
2. Any bodily injury which is a consequence of Terrorism or which occurs in an area which is regarded by Us as a War Risk and Civil Hazard area.
3. Any insurance event arising from You being the driver, rider or passenger of a quad bike, all terrain vehicle or motorcycle when You are not wearing a crash helmet, whether legally required locally or not.
4. Circumstances that could reasonably been anticipated at the time You booked Your Trip or purchased this insurance.
5. Loss of or damage to money and Valuables whilst unattended or in/from luggage in transit.
Examples of these and other conditions and exclusions are contained within the policy wording, a specimen copy of which is available upon request. If after purchasing a policy from us should you find it does not meet your requirements you have 14-days from the date of issue or prior to travel, whichever is sooner, to cancel the policy and receive a full refund of your premium.
J. W. Lodge and Sons Limited is an Appointed Representative of ITC Compliance Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (their firm reference is 313486) and which is permitted to advise on and arrange general insurance contracts.
All insurance premiums are inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax @ 20%.
SUMMARY OF COVER
PLEASE SEE THE POLICY WORDING FOR FULL DETAILS OF THE COVER, LIMITATIONS AND EXCESSES, A SPECIMEN COPY OF WHICH IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.
Up to £1,500
Holidays 3 days duration or less nil excess. Holidays 4 days duration and over £40/£15 in respect of loss of deposit claims
Personal Accident (subject to age)
Up to £15,000 death and corresponding benefits £15,000. Death benefit limited to £7,500 persons aged 70 & over at time of travel
Medical Expenses Including Repatriation
Up to £2,000,000 (EU) £1,500 (UK)
Hospital Confinement Benefit
£10 per 24 hours up to £100 UK
£15 per 24 hours up to £450 Channel Islands & EU
Personal Property Including Money
Up to £1,500 in all. Single article/valuables limit £200/personal money (subject to age) £200/delayed baggage up to £100
Personal property & money £35
Delayed baggage – excess 12 hours
Loss of Passport
Up to £200
Up to £100 UK & £300 EU
Travel delay up to £60 (£20 per 12 hours)
Cancellation (holiday abandonment) up to £1,500
Holiday abandonment excess as per cancellation
Up to £2,000,000
Up to £25,000
HOW TO BOOK A LODGE COACHES HOLIDAY OR SHORT BREAK
Before sending in your deposit and booking form you must first telephone our office to ensure that space is available on the tour you are interested in, the type of room required, coach seating arrangements and pick up details.
Assuming everything is to your satisfaction, please read carefully the booking and insurance conditions, complete the booking form overleaf and sent it, together with the correct deposit including insurance if required, to Lodge Coaches, with cheques made out to J.W. Lodge & Sons Ltd.
By return, you will be sent a booking confirmation invoice with an insurance policy and passenger protection certificate. Your invoice will tell you how much money is still required for the balance of your holiday. This invoice will also tell you the date by which your balance of payment should be made. This is usually six weeks before departure and the cheque should be accompanied by the remittance advice slip on the bottom of your original invoice. Confirmation of your balance will be sent by return along with your luggage labels.
"It's that time of the year when many employees wonder if they should send some sort of holiday greeting to co-workers and members of the.
The holidays and year end present many opportunities for enhancing existing client relationships and developing new prospects. Many attorneys don’t take full advantage of the opportunities, however, because they fail to invest a little forethought. Here are some ideas to consider if you engage in the venerable tradition of sending out holiday greetings.
When to Send Out Greetings
Although the number of holiday cards sent out has declined over the last decade, it is still difficult to stand out in the flurry of holiday communication. Some lawyers have migrated to sending Thanksgiving cards. What an excellent opportunity to express gratitude for your clients’ trust and confidence in you, as demonstrated by their business. Alternatively, you might choose to adopt the French tradition of sending New Year’s cards. Either way, at least your card won’t be buried in a stack of other cards. If you want to showcase your firm’s experience in representing clients who do business in China, perhaps you should consider sending out Chinese New Year cards.
Personalize Your Greetings
I urge my clients to find a way to include a personal message in each card, especially if the card is signed with the law firm name. Without a personal touch, the card does not have optimal impact. You risk disappointing the client who had a strong relationship with you, when you obviously treat them like one of the masses. Clients suspect that a staff member prepared the cards from a mailing list, without actual lawyer involvement. Even individually signed cards can conjure up an image of an assembly line signing process.
Personalizing a Mass Mailing
If you have extensive contacts, how can you personalize all those cards? You really may not be able to invest the time and imagination required to add a meaningful note to each card. You can still support the bond with your contacts by inserting an enclosure with something personal about yourself, even though it is mass produced. When you give your clients, prospects and referral sources a personal glimpse of you, they feel like they know you, and it fosters loyalty. Oprah Winfrey is a master of revealing just enough about herself to give millions of strangers the feeling that they are in relationship with her, and her impact is legendary.
Here are a few examples of how to add a personal touch to your holiday greetings:
1. Write up a paragraph or two that describes something about your family. You might describe a holiday tradition in your home and tell a funny or touching anecdote about your kids now, or your childhood in relation to that tradition. Alternatively, the anecdotes can be about people or activities in your office or practice group. Tie it to wishes for the recipient like “may your holidays be filled with laughter and memories in the making.”
2. Enclose a copy of a favorite poem or the lyrics to a favorite song related to the season, and tell why it’s meaningful to you.
3. Describe one of the highlights of your year and share something from it. For example, you might have traveled to Italy, and you can enclose a recipe for a delicious marinara sauce translated from an Italian cookbook you purchased there, as a little gift.
4. Enclose a picture of you and your staff or your family, especially in holiday attire or doing something related to the holiday. You might have a photo of you and staff or family wrapping presents for an adopted family, carting donations to a food bank, decorating the office, or sledding in the snow. Of course, you’ll include a brief explanation of what you were doing, and tie it to your wishes for the recipient. You could say something like “may the season fill your heart with the joy of giving and receiving,” or “may the holidays awaken the kid in you again!”
5. Write a holiday newsletter. Yes, some people complain or make fun about those, but they are usually referring to the letters that sound like brag sheets. Instead of reciting honors and accolades, tell stories and anecdotes that give your reader the flavor of your year or important events that transpired. Don’t be afraid to include personal disappointment or loss. It makes you human and approachable. I wouldn’t suggest mentioning that big trial you lost, however, unless it was plastered all over the newspapers and television screens. In that case I would simply mention my disappointment about the outcome.
If you like the idea of sending out more personalized greetings, but need help with simplifying such an overwhelming project, check out some of the services available at www.SendOutCards.com, and www.LongTermClients.com. They have some nice cards to choose from, and many suggestions about personalizing content. You upload the mailing list, and they’ll send the cards out for you. Or they’ll send you the fully addressed and stamped cards just waiting for you to sign them and put them in the mail.
Finally, you may be wondering about whether it’s ok to send out email greetings instead of cards. I would say “That depends.” How traditional is your audience? You might just come across as cheap. If you have the tradition of sending a newsletter, I think email works well for that. Just be aware that your communication risks getting lost in an even bigger flurry of unread email.
With regard to those online greeting cards: they may not be opened or received. Many IT departments block executable files from delivery to protect against viruses. Many individuals don’t click on the link to electronic cards to avoid cookies and other spyware.
Some people receive hundreds of legitimate emails per day, and get annoyed at anything that further clogs their mailbox. Others tend to be more responsive to email, and might actually engage in a conversation with you as a result. Know your audience.
My Holiday Greeting to You
Please consider these ideas as a little holiday gift from me in appreciation for being a reader who makes this column successful. I would love for you to share your holiday greetings with me. May these ideas cause you to relive some happy memories and come a little closer to your friends and clients during the holidays.
This article was originally published in The Practice Manager in December 2007.
1. Financial Protection
Your contract is with Aberfeldy Motor Services of Burnside Garage, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, PH15 2DD. When you book a holiday with us, which doesn’t include a flight, the money you pay us for the booking will be protected by the Bonded Coach Holidays (BCH), this is a Government approved consumer protection scheme. The scheme will also ensure your repatriation in the event the company becomes insolvent. Our Trading Charter and Booking Conditions set out clearly and simply the responsibility we have to you and in turn, you have with us, when a contract is made. Please see the BCH Consumer Guarantee at www.bch-uk.org.There is no financial protection if you purchase just transport or accommodation-only from us. We fully comply with the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018. The combination of travel services offered to you is a package holiday within the meaning of the Regulations. Therefore, you will benefit from all rights applying to package holidays. Aberfeldy Motor Services will be fully responsible for the proper performance of the holiday and providing assistance if you are in difficulty. Your key rights will be in the details of the tour which will be provided prior to booking.
2. Booking and Payment
When a booking is made, the ‘lead name’ on the booking guarantees that he or she is 18 or over and has the authority and accepts on behalf of the party the terms of these booking conditions and pays the deposit indicated in the brochure and as confirmed in the pre-contract information. After we receive your booking and all appropriate payments, if the arrangements you wish to book are available, we will send you a confirmation invoice within 14 days. This confirmation will include any special requests we have agreed. A binding agreement will come into existence between us when we dispatch this invoice to the ‘lead name’. Please check the confirmation carefully to ensure all the information is correct. This contract is governed by English Law, and the jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Single occupancy of rooms, when available, may be subject to a supplementary charge and these will be shown in the brochure. You can book by paying a deposit for each person named on the booking but our commitment is always conditional upon the balance being paid as below;
Deposit £50.00 per person.
The balance of the price of your holiday must be paid at least 4 weeks before your departure. If you book within our balance due period, you will need to pay the total holiday cost at the time of booking. If the balance is not paid in time we reserve the right to cancel your holiday, retain your deposit, and apply the cancellation charges set out in the paragraph below. The date of cancellation will normally be the date we receive your written confirmation that you intend to cancel or 15 days after the balance due date, whichever comes first.
Where optional items are purchased as part of the holiday, these are payable on the balance due date except where items, such as theatre tickets, have been specifically purchased for you. In this case the cost will be payable at a separate date notified to you and will not normally be refunded unless we obtain a refund from the supplier we use.
3. Brochure Accuracy
Although Aberfeldy Motor Services make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the brochure information and pricing, regrettably errors do sometimes occur. You must therefore ensure you check the price and all other details of your holiday with us at the time of booking and when you receive our confirmation invoice.
4. Our Pricing Policy
Aberfeldy Motor Services endeavour to ensure that the most up to date and correct prices are shown in our brochure. Occasionally, an incorrect price may be shown, due to an error. When we become aware of any such error, we will endeavour to notify you at the time of booking (if we are then aware of the mistake) or as soon as reasonably possible. We reserve the right to cancel the booking if you do not wish to accept the price which is applicable to the holiday. Local Authorities in many towns and cities throughout Europe have introduced new tourist taxes which must be paid directly to the hotel by all guests in person. These taxes are not included in our prices but we will notify you when applicable.
Holiday prices include all travel, hotel accommodation and meals as specified in the holiday description and VAT payable in the UK where applicable. The price of the holiday will not be subjected to any surcharges except those arising from exchange rate changes, transportation including the price of fuel, air & ferry operator fares and tolls, embarkation or disembarkation fees at terminals, duties and taxes (including the rate of VAT). Even in these cases we will absorb the cost equivalent to cost of the first 2% of the holiday price. Amounts more than this plus £1 administration fee and Travel Agents commission will be surcharged to you. If this means the total cost of the holiday increases by more than 8% then you are entitled to cancel your holiday and receive a full refund of all monies paid except any insurance premium and amendment charges. We will communicate the options with you either through email or letter, with a reminder if necessary. If you exercise the right to cancel we must receive written notice within 20 days of the date of the surcharge invoice. The currency exchange rate used in the holiday costings are based on rates as at 8 November 2018.
5. If you change your booking
If, after our confirmation has been issued, you wish to change to another of our holidays or change departure date, we will do our utmost to make the changes, but we cannot guarantee to do so. However, notification must be received in writing at our offices from the person who signed the booking form, at least 3 weeks before departures. This must be accompanied by a payment of £10 to cover our administrative costs, plus costs we incur in making the amendment. Alterations cannot be made within 2 weeks of departure and any such request for an alteration will be treated as a cancellation of the original booking and will be subject to the cancellation charges set out in paragraph below. Some arrangements cannot be changed without paying a cancellation charge of up to 100% of the ticket cost.
6. Transferring your booking
You can transfer your booking to somebody else but the person must satisfy all the conditions of the holiday and you must inform us either by letter or email no less than 7 days before departure. This transfer will cost £20 plus reasonable costs to make the transfer. You will remain responsible for ensuring payment before the balance due date. This is in addition to (and does not affect) the separate liability of the transferee to us.
7. If you need to cancel your holiday
You or any member of your party, may cancel your holiday at any time provided the cancellation is made by the person signing the booking form and is communicated to us in writing via the office who made your original booking. You must pay cancellation charges to cover our administration costs and to compensate for the risk of us not reselling the holiday. If the holiday is resold a refund will be made. Your cancellation will take effect from the date on which we or our agent receive your written confirmation of your cancellation. You must also return any tickets or vouchers you have received. A reduction in room occupancy may increase the charges for the remaining passengers by the application of supplements for low occupancy of rooms. Where bought in supplies, such as ferries, hotel accommodation etc have been bought in on your behalf, and where the terms and conditions of the supplier are non-refundable, these products will be charged to you at the full retail rate. If this applies, the non-refundable items will be deducted from your holiday costs and the following scale of charges will be applied to the remainder:
TABLE OF CANCELLATION CHARGES
Received Package Cost
More than 28 days Deposit only
28 – 21 days 30% or Deposit if greater
20 – 10 Days 65%
9 - 0 Days 100%
Departure Day or later
including voluntary termination
during the package Total package cost
In the event of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances occurring at the place of destination of its immediate vicinity and which significantly affect - (a) the performance of the package or (b) the carriage of passengers to the destination., The traveller may terminate the package travel contract before the start of the package without paying any termination fee.
8. Alterations to your holiday by us
We hope that we will not have to make any change to your holiday but, because our holidays are planned many months in advance, we sometimes do need to make minor changes. We reserve the right to do this at any time. We will let you know about any important changes as soon as possible, including the minimum number of passengers required on the trip. If after booking, and before departure, we make a major change to your holiday, you will have the option of withdrawing from the holiday without penalty or transferring to another holiday without any charge. In either case, we will pay you compensation, according to the scale set below. A major change includes the time of your departure or return time by more than 12 hours, a change in departure point, location of resort or type of hotel, a change in cross channel travel, or specification of the coach. If we tell you about any of these changes after we have confirmed your holiday booking (other than force majeure), you may either:
- accept the new arrangements offered by us; or
- accept a replacement holiday from us of equivalent or similar standard and price (at the date of the change), if we can offer you one; or
- cancel your holiday with us and receive a full refund of all monies
Either way, we will pay you compensation, using the Compensation table shown,
Period before departure in
which Significant change Amount per
is notified to You Person
More than 28 Days Nil
21 – 28 Days £10
15 – 20 Days £15
8 – 14 Days £20
0 – 7 Days £25
IMPORTANT NOTE Compensation will not be payable if the holiday is cancelled because the number of persons booked is less than the number required, or for events beyond our control, which include: war, threat of war, riots, civil disturbances, terrorist activity and its consequences, industrial disputes, natural and nuclear disasters, fire, epidemics, health risks and pandemics, unavoidable and unforeseeable technical problems with transport for reasons beyond our control or that of our suppliers; hurricanes and other actual or potential severe weather conditions and any other similar events. You are also advised to check with The Foreign and Commonwealth Office Advice Unit regularly at www.fco.gov.uk/travel prior to travel.
All holidays operate if the minimum number of participants is met. However, in no case will we cancel your holiday less than 4 weeks before the scheduled departure date, except where you have failed to pay the final balance or because of force majeure (force majeure means an event which we or the suppliers of the services in question could not foresee or avoid and is therefore beyond our control).
Note that where the package travel contract is terminated under paragraph 7(a) and (b), the traveller is entitled to a full refund of any payments made for the package, but is not entitled to additional compensation.
9. Our responsibility to you
We accept responsibility for ensuring the holiday which you book with us is supplied as described in our publicity material and the services offered reach a reasonable standard and if you are in difficulty we will assist you. If any part of our holiday contract is not provided as promised, you may terminate the contract without paying a termination fee and we will pay you appropriate compensation if this has affected your enjoyment of your holiday. We will however, not be liable if there are any unforeseeable or unavoidable actions of a third party not connected with our travel services, or there were unavoidable or extraordinary circumstances, or the lack of conformity is due to a traveller in the party. We accept responsibility for the acts and/or omissions of our employees, agents and suppliers except where they lead to death, injury or illness. Our liability in all cases shall be limited to a maximum of twice the value of the original holiday cost (not including insurance premiums and amendment charges). We accept responsibility for death, injury, or illness caused by the negligent acts and/or omissions of our employees or agents together with our suppliers and sub-contractors, servants and/or agents of the same whilst acting within the scope of, or during their employment in the provision of your holiday. We will accordingly pay to our clients such damages as might have been awarded in such circumstances under English Law. In respect of carriage by air, sea, tunnel and rail and the provision of accommodation our liability in all cases will be limited in the manner provided by the relevant international convention.
If we make any payment to you or any member of your party for death or personal injury or illness, you will be asked to assign to us or our insurers the rights you may have to act against the person or organisation responsible for causing the death, personal injury or illness. This clause does not apply to any separate contracts that you may enter for excursions or activities during or outside of your holiday. If you or any member of your party suffer death, illness or injury whilst overseas arising out of an activity which does NOT form part of your holiday, we may offer guidance and where legal action is contemplated and you want our assistance, you must obtain our written consent prior to any proceedings (We limit the cost of our assistance to you or your party to £5,000 per party)
10. If you have a complaint
If you have a problem during your holiday, please inform your Tour Manager, your driver or the relevant supplier/resort representative immediately who will endeavour to put things right. If your complaint cannot be completely resolved locally, you must complete a Holiday Report Form which can be obtained by your driver or local representative, which you should keep. Our contact number, for unresolved complaints will be our office number on 01887 820433 (Monday – Friday 0900 – 1700) If you remain dissatisfied please follow this up within 14 days of your return home by writing to Aberfeldy Motor Services giving your original booking reference number and all other relevant information, including the reference of the Holiday Report Form. It is therefore a condition of this contract that you communicate any problem to the supplier of the services in question AND to our representative whilst in resort and obtain a written report form. If you fail to follow this simple procedure, we cannot accept responsibility as we have been deprived of the opportunity to investigate and rectify the problem. Should you wish to pursue the complaint further, the BCH/CPT have an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme and full details are available from them. Please contact them at, The Confederation of Passenger Transport UK, Fifth Floor South, Chancery House, 53 – 64 Chancery lane, London WC2A 1 QS.
11. Our Coaches
We will always use our reasonable endeavours to provide a coach to the specification in our brochure or advert, but reserve the right to substitute an alternative vehicle should there be unforeseen circumstances. There is a seating plan but in some cases, operational reasons may require a coach with a different configuration. We reserve the right to alter a coach seating plan and allocate seats other than those booked. Single passengers may be required to share a double seat with other single passengers. When your booking is confirmed, you will be offered the best seats that are available at that time. If you feel that you require two seats, then these must be booked and paid for in advance, at the time of booking. If you fail to do this and it transpires that the seat allocated to you is insufficient for your needs and there is no alternative seating available then you will be refused access to the coach and any payments made will be liable to forfeiture.
Specific seats will not be allocated on coaches operating a feeder service between joining points and main holiday departure points or on coaches that carry out transfers between airports, seaports etc.
12. Hotel facilities
Some hotel facilities and entertainment may be withdrawn for routine maintenance or be subject to seasonal availability and provision of the facilities cannot be guaranteed. Single occupancy of rooms may be subject to a supplementary charge.
13. Health and Safety
In some foreign countries, standards of infrastructure, safety and hygiene may be lower than those to which we are accustomed in the UK. You should therefore exercise greater care for your own protection. There may be countries that we visit that have special medical requirements for tourists. These regulations are subject to change and our clients are responsible for complying with entry and current health requirements. If you are not sure of the health requirements for the country you are visiting, you are advised to check with your own GP before travelling. You are also advised to refer to the Department of Health leaflet “Health Advice for Travellers”
Some people may be at risk from discomfort or deep vein thrombosis (DVT) if they remain immobile on a journey for a long period. If you are planning to undertake a journey of more than three hours, you should consult your doctor, if you have ever had DVT, pulmonary embolism, a family history of clotting conditions, cancer or treatment for cancer, stroke, and heart or lung disease or If you have had major surgery in the past three months.
We reserve the right to refuse any booking in the absence of a doctor’s certificate confirming that you are fit to travel. Where we provide comfort stops you are encouraged to walk around. Exercise reduces any discomfort, which may be caused by periods of immobility.
NO SMOKING is allowed on our coaches (including E-Cigarettes) and we do not allow pets or any other animals, although we accommodate registered assistance dogs, but not on overseas holidays.
14. Travel documents, itineraries, pick-up points and passports
For all Continental holidays, you will require a full 10-year British Passport (machine readable) valid for a further 6 months after your holiday. If you do not hold a full British Passport or you have any doubts about your status as a resident British subject, you must check with the Embassies or Consulates of the Countries to be visited to confirm the Passport or visa requirements when you book. We cannot accept responsibility if passengers are not in possession of the correct travel documents. For full details on passport requirements, please contact ‘the identity and passport service’ on 0300 222 0000 (www.direct.gov.uk)”
You are responsible for ensuring you are at the correct departure point, at the correct time and with the correct documents. Aberfeldy Motor Services reserve the right to modify itineraries to conform with requests from competent authorities both within the UK and abroad.
Excursions which are included in the cost of your booking are detailed on the brochure page and refunds will not be made for excursions not taken. Optional excursions booked and paid for in resort do not form part of your booking. Admission fees to buildings may not be included in the price of the holiday, please check.
15. Special Requests
All special needs and requests, if agreed, should be entered on the booking form and be included in the confirmation of the holiday. These cannot be guaranteed except where confirmed as part of our holiday commitment to you and are detailed on your holiday booking confirmation. We are keen to ensure that we plan the arrangements for your holiday so that special needs and requests can be accommodated as far as possible. If you will need assistance, or may be unable to fully enjoy all aspects of your holiday you must tell us in advance so that we can maximise your enjoyment of the holiday. We will need to know if you will need special facilities in the hotel, taking part in the excursions or have difficulty boarding and travelling on the coach or other means of transport. Before booking your holiday, you should be sure that you and your party are both physically and mentally capable of completing the itinerary. If you need advice or further information you should contact Aberfeldy Motor Services. If you will require a special diet please tell us at the time of booking, or as soon as you are medically advised, together with a copy of the diet.
16. Passengers with disabilities
We want everyone to enjoy our travel arrangements. We are happy to advise and assist you in choosing a suitable holiday. But, as some of the accommodation and resorts featured may not cater for even minor disabilities, it is important that, when booking, you advise us of any disability, specific need or complex need you may have and any special requirements that will make sure the holiday is suitable. If a passenger requires personal assistance (for example, assistance with feeding, dressing, toileting, mobilising) then this passenger must travel with an able-bodied companion or carer and written confirmation that such assistance will be provided for the entirety of the holiday is required at the time of booking. Coach drivers/Tour Managers are unable to provide such assistance.
Important: You must tell us if you have an existing medical condition, disability or complex need that may affect your holiday or other group members’ enjoyment of it before you book your holiday. We reserve the right to request a doctor’s certificate confirming the passenger is fit to travel. If, in our reasonable opinion, your chosen holiday is not suitable for your medical condition or disability, we reserve the right to refuse your booking. You are responsible for bringing with you the proper clothing and equipment, which we advise you about in our printed trip information. We want you to enjoy your holiday and will help you select an appropriate trip.
17. Passenger Behaviour
We want all our customers to have a happy and carefree holiday. You are responsible for your behaviour and hygiene and the effect it may have on others. If you or any other member of your party is abusive, disruptive or behaves in a way that could cause damage or injury to others or affect their enjoyment of their holiday or which could damage property, we have the right to terminate your contract with us and we will have no further liability or obligation to you. The coach driver/representative, ship’s captain, or authorised official is entitled to refuse you boarding if in their reasonable opinion you are unacceptably under the influence of drink or drugs or you are being violent or disruptive. If you are refused boarding on the outward journey we will regard it as a cancellation by you and we will apply cancellation charges. If on your return journey, we have the right to terminate the contract with you. We also request that mobile telephones are not used on the coach.
18. Travel Insurance
We strongly advise that you take out personal travel insurance for the trip. We have arranged comprehensive travel insurance with Wrightsure Insurance Group, which is outlined below. You may use an alternative insurer but you must advise us. The insurance should cover medical and repatriation costs, personal injury, loss of baggage and cancellation charges. If you do not have adequate insurance and require our assistance during your holiday, we reserve the right to reclaim from you any medical repatriation or other expenses which we may incur on your behalf which would otherwise have been met by insurers. You must advise us if you use an alternative insurer, the policy number and 24 hour contact number.
Please restrict your luggage to a suitcase weighing no more than 15kgs per person. We cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage to luggage unless through our negligence. Please do not leave valuable items in your suitcase when left on the coach. Please contact us for our policy on mobility scooters.
20. General Data Protection Regulations
We retain your full contact details and other information in secure files and electronic storage facilities. We may use this information to contact you by mail, telephone or electronic means. We must pass your information on to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements and take full responsibility for ensuring that proper measures are in place to protect your information. In making this booking you consent to this information being passed on to the relevant persons or suppliers. Your data controller is the Manager.
21. Emergency Contact
PUBLICATION DATE The brochure was printed in the UK by Barr Printers, Glenrothes on 14 November 2018
22. children’s reduction
A reduction may be available to children under 12 years of age, sharing with 2 adults. Please enquire.
HOLIDAY INFORMATION (NOT PART OF CONTRACT)
Infectious or Contagious Diseases
Due to Health and Safety reasons we cannot accommodate guests who have an infectious or contagious medical condition. If you have had such a condition within 14 days prior to departure, please let us know and supply a doctor’s confirmation to indicate that your condition is no longer contagious. Should you be ill upon arrival or during your stay, please advise us immediately. Infectious or contagious diseases can be passed on to other guests and in order to protect such guests and staff it is important that we are informed. We reserve the right to require you to leave or be confined to your room if we believe that such a condition makes this necessary. Please note that in such circumstances we may be unable to offer refunds.
When the Vehicle is Stopped
Passengers may not remain on board a vehicle while stopped for Morning Coffee, Lunch, Afternoon Tea or Visits, or in any case where the driver will be leaving the coach unattended.
The driver is entitled to refuse you boarding if in their reasonable opinion you are unacceptably under the influence of drink or drugs or you are being violent or disruptive. The consumption of alchohol on board the coach is strictly forbidden.
This Brochure is printed many months in advance and the itineraries listed are for guidance only and may be subject to alterations.
Holiday card messages send a season's greeting to those you know. Please review our collection of holiday card greetings, Christmas card sayings and wishes.
Holiday card messages send a season’s greeting to those you know. Please review our collection of holiday card greetings, Christmas card sayings and wishes for ideas. When it comes time for Santa Claus to make his once-a-year-trip, may your household be filled with love, laughter and goodwill. And, may all of your Christmases be white.
Do you love Christmas card messages and Christmas card sayings? We’ve got a boatload. Keep on reading.
You might like our Funny Christmas Quotations.
Check out Christmas Around the World
BREAK IN THE ACTION FOR A JOKE
A Christmas shopper’s complaint is one of long-standing.
Decorating Tip: Place these Christmas messages by a Christmas candle in your house.
I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!
And in despair I bowed my head;
“There is no peace on earth,” I said;
For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men.
Check out Best Holiday Songs
If you have any ideas, please let us know.
You’re on Holiday Card Messages.
You might like:
Best Christmas Card Sayings, Ideas and Messages
Merry Xmas Greetings and Wishes
Buddy the Elf Lines
New Year Sayings
Merry Xmas Memes
To Share is Divine...
Holiday card messages send a season's greeting to those you know. Please review our collection of holiday card greetings, Christmas card sayings and wishes.