10 things I wish I'd known about raising a boy was first published in 2014; now that Jenna Bush Hager has had her first boy (and third child).
Editor's note: This story was first published in 2014; now that Jenna Bush Hager has had her first boy (and third child), we think she and her husband Henry Hager could use this wisdom as their daughters Mila and Poppy get a baby brother!
When you have a girl, you know that you can always fall back on your own childhood memories to guide you as a parent. But unless you grew up with a brother, there's a good chance that parts of raising a boy can take you by surprise. From the sports obsession to the penis comparisons, here are 10 things I wish I'd known about bringing up boys.
Even if you stock your nursery with mixed-gender toys like baby dolls and play kitchens, there's a good chance matchbox cars and trucks will multiply on their own in your home, boats will line your bathtub and train track will loop around your floor. Little boys adore anything that flies, sails, drives, digs or mixes. “I could have never anticipated the amount of fun he can have with just a few cars,” said mom of two Dana McCranie. “I love watching his little fingers wrapped around two cars and imagining what he sees as he drives them around with animation and sound effects.”
From the moment they come bouncing into your bed at 5:30 in the morning until they pass out at bedtime, boys go. Sometimes it seems like they have only two speeds — fast and faster. This means that your toddler could be sitting on the floor shaking a rattle one minute and when you turn your head, he will have summitted the dining room table. He may not ever slow down, but you’ll learn to pick up the pace. “Give them goals,” said dad of three Randolph RoVino. “Give them the tools. Give them encouragement to use the energy that they have. And have your sneakers on!”
Never miss a story from TODAY Parents! Sign up for our newsletter here
Chalk it up to the cave man instinct, but boys play with their penises practically from birth. (And those baby erections? Whoa.) Once he figures out it’s there, it’ll be everything you can do to keep his hands from drifting down there all the time. “I remember other moms warning me when I had my first son, ‘Don't worry if he touches his thing all the time. It's normal,’” said mom of two Melissa Phipps. “I'm still not sure if my 8-year-old is in the normal range, but whenever he had a free moment, he whips it out. Ironically, the only time he doesn't have his hand on his penis is when he's using the toilet and should be holding it to aim correctly. That's when it can't be tamed.”
RELATED: 23 photos that show what life with boys is like
A girl’s wardrobe can be sizable. But boys? Well, there are pants, sneakers and T-shirts. There are no outfits. Everything, essentially, goes together. “There may be fewer options in the store, but I’ll happily dress a boy over a girl any day,” said mom of one Bonnie Vengrow. “The palette is simple, the clothes are cute, and he’ll let me dress him with no fuss.”
Boys are physical. There's the jumping off furniture, the rolling on each other, the "hug" that turns into a full-body running tackle. It's often how they connect and express affection. “My sons constantly have to touch each other and be near each other,” said mom of two Stacy Genovese. “We recently finished our basement and it’s a huge playroom but yet they both have to play right on top of each other and then it’s the inevitable ‘He hit me!’, ‘No, he hit him first!’”
Exhausting? Yes. Normal and healthy? Absolutely. This kind of physical interaction can foster positive relationships, boost the body's feel-good chemicals and promote intelligence — even if it means stuff around the house is going to get broken.
RELATED: Want kids to listen more, fidget less? Try this amazing invention called recess
There are boys and there are coffee tables and these two things often add up to stitches. You will learn to anticipate the most dangerous risks (and you might want to buy cushioned corners for the coffee table), but there will be a time when you're just a second too late and you land up driving to the ER. Don’t blame yourself — it's a rite of passage for all boy moms. “It's hard not to feel ashamed when it happens, but don't worry. Other parents sympathize,” Phipps said.
RELATED: What is the deal with boys wearing shorts in winter?
On the floor. Behind the toilet. On the wall. All over the seat that they neglected to lift up. Apparently, it takes time and an attention span not to spray the entire bathroom while urinating. “Peeing everywhere never stops — argh!,” said mom Shirlie Sharpe. “The only thing that changes is that as they get bigger, their range increases.” Your best bet: Keep some Clorox wipes at the ready and remind yourself that unless there's poop involved, your child won't ever need to sit on a dirty public toilet seat. Oh, and it's incredibly easy for them to pee behind a tree in the park.
Watch a girl the same age as your nonstop ball of energy sit quietly and use glitter glue for 45 minutes and you may want to cry. Girls often reach milestones earlier and excel at many essential school skills like reading and, er, sitting still. “The girls in my son Ian’s class and the daughters of my friends are way more advanced than my boys,” Genovese said. “They’re just more aware of the world around them. One friend with girls the same ages as my boys said, ‘For me, it’s all mental. For you, it’s all physical.‘ And that’s exactly right.”
Boys can also approach things differently, which is part of the fun. Case in point: “My girls never thought to make puzzles in the nude!” said mom of three Gina Ferrara.
There will be days when you watch your son with his friends and you just won't get it. Boy humor can be extra goofy and the potty humor starts as soon as they can talk. “Who knew the love of fart jokes was part of a boy's development?” said Phipps. “At some point after learning to talk, farts will be all your little one talks about. I am not sure when the phase ends.” So trust that you will be told that your dinner tastes like poop. You'll be called poopy head and poopy pants. If you laugh (and it's often hard not to) or scold, you just give the poop talk more value. So try to keep a straight face at least until you can vent on Facebook.
RELATED: Is your little one sick? These home remedies will quiet your child's cough in no time
There's a strong and consistent love that comes from boys from the get-go — and stays there through the long haul. “Whenever you come home, it’s like being a rock star in your own home,” Genovese said.
“The thing I will miss most when my boys grow up is the adoring way they look at me and stroke my face and hair," Phipps said. They are such little romantics. I will say to my 6-year-old, ‘You're cute’ and he'll respond ‘You're cuter!’ It almost makes it worth being the only female in an all-male household.”
Here you will find a lovely collection of newborn boy messages, cards and newborn baby boy wishes to parents with images. Congratulate the happy parents on.
Personalised Congratulations New Parents Birth of New Baby Boy Card, PRODUCT INFORMATION: Size - 148mm x 148mm (6x6 inches), HOW TO PERSONALISE: Click the yellow Customize Now Button, enter your personalisation details then add to basket and checkout, Art & Craft Supplies Personalised Congratulations New Parents Birth of New Baby Boy Card Greeting Cards, The card is hand finished with a co ordinating bow, please let us know the details for your via the 'Contact Seller' option on Amazon, This card is available fully personalised with the wording of your choice on the front Printed on luxury 00gsm textured card with matching blank white paper insert and envelope colour of your choice You have the option to personalise the inside wording Comes wrapped in cello and sent in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in pristine condition Material 00gsm white textured card matching 100gsm envelope in a choice of colours Size 148mm x 148mm (6x6 inches), This card is available fully personalised with the wording of your choice on the front, Alternatively, Personalised Congratulations New Parents Birth of New Baby Boy Card: Office Products
A beautiful handmade congratulations on the birth of your son card featuring a baby footprints design hand finished with co ordinating bow, Personalised Congratulations New Parents Birth of New Baby Boy Card Art & Craft Supplies Greeting Cards, You have the option to personalise the inside wording Comes wrapped in cello and sent in a board backed envelope to ensure it reaches you in pristine condition, Greeting Cards Art & Craft Supplies Personalised Congratulations New Parents Birth of New Baby Boy Card, It's sure to make someone smile when they receive it, Printed on luxury 300gsm textured card with matching blank white paper insert and blue envelope, A beautifully personalised handmade card features blue baby footprints design, Great prices on your favourite Office brands plus free delivery and returns on eligible orders
We hope these adorable newborn baby wishes will help you welcome your near and dear newborn babies. A baby is the best gift to all parents. With the arrival of a newborn, parents are overcome with happiness and seem to have the greatest gift they could ever have. Nothing in this entire universe can exist that can make parents as happy as having a baby. So, you must convey wishes of congratulations to all of the parents who are your near and dear ones when they give birth to a little baby with a newborn card. You should write messages in the cards to congratulate the parents, as well as convey good wishes to the newborn baby for his or her upcoming bright future. Congratulate the parents on the arrival of a newborn baby in the family! Send warm wishes for the new baby and shower them with your blessings. Some unique new baby congratulations messages are shown below:
Baby Boy, Baby Girl, Baby Keepsake Card, For New Parents, Newborn Card, Your Successful Breeding Programme Greeting Card: Notecards & Greeting.
Congratulations Message For First Time Parents: – Being first-time parents is a moment of happiness and unmeasurable joy for your relatives, friends. On this cheerful moment, the parents certainly deserve your congratulation and baby well wishes.
The baby wishes are the best things that we can give to new parents to let them know that we are really happy for them. Aside from the things words and meaningful thoughts are what really count. We want to give the new parents the best baby born wishes and our blessing for the new child. Their new role and this new journey need s on two beautiful words of encouragement and blessing. So go ahead and check out the following wish perfect for this occasion. HAPPY BABY BORN DAY.
In case you are finding difficulties to find the right word to congratulate and searching for what to say then you will find this post useful:
1. A kid is a valuable blessing that fills the heart with a delight you never knew you were fit for feeling. Set aside this opportunity to savor the wonder of your new family. We wish you many, numerous cheerful years as your youngster develops into a wonderful little individual. Congratulation on having your first child.
2. There is nothing more energizing than the introduction of a tyke. We know you have numerous restless evenings in front of you, however, it will be justified, despite all the trouble at last. Congrats on the new child!
3. We recollect what it resembled to hold you in our arms as a newborn child. Presently, you have your very own child. Welcome to parenthood, little girl!
4. Would you be able to trust how rapidly those 9 months passed? I would rather not let you know, yet the following 18 years will pass by similarly as fast. Set aside the opportunity to appreciate each and every minute. Well done! Bless your new child.
5. Congrats on your new part as guardians! This will be the hardest, yet most compensating work you have ever had previously.
6. This won’t be your first youngster, but rather the sentiment of euphoria and love is the same. Well done on the new expansion to the family.
7. There is no more prominent euphoria than the introduction of your youngster. We trust you relish at this time and make the most of your new family without limitations.
8. There is nothing we can state that will indicate the amount we cherish you and your new child. We can’t hold up to meet him/her! This is such a glorious time. Congrats!
9. Our child looks completely delightful. I can’t hold up to watch them grow up with everybody we adore close by. Congratulations!
10. The new child will be the focal point of your consideration always more. This is another life that is both alarming and energizing. Notwithstanding, you will be an extraordinary parent. Congrats.
11. All you at any point envisioned will work out with the deepest desires you have for your new kid. Congrats on the most supernatural time in your life.
12. Would you be able to trust how grown up we are? I recall when we were simply in secondary school. Presently, you have your own particular tyke! I am so pleased and energized for this new stage in your life.
13. Here is a pack of diapers and some wine for you! It was a long 9 months, yet you can at long last have a drink to celebrate! Cheerful mother and father until the end of time!
14. Congrats on the introduction of your youngster! There is nothing superior to the scent of an infant. I simply adore their little feet as well! Keep in mind when they are little since they grow up so quickly.
15. You won’t have the capacity to be as unconstrained with another infant, however, you won’t need it some other way. The time you go through with your valuable family if what you will love the most. Well done on your new youngster.
16. We cherish your children, and we can’t hold up to meet the most up to date individual from the (last name) family since we will love them the same amount of. We know you are so energized, however, set aside the opportunity to rest since you have some restless evenings in front of you! Congrats on your new child.
17. The first run through is constantly unnerving, yet you’ve both got it in you to prevail in this extraordinary examination we call parenthood. Congrats!
18. You have recently crossed the scarce difference between giddy grown-ups to capable family folks. Your new reality will be set apart with interminable bolstering plans, grimy diapers and heaps of glad minutes. Keep a camera helpful on the grounds that every moment is photograph commendable from hereon. Congrats!
19. I heard the considerable news: Welcome to the club, novice guardians! It will be one hell of a ride, and you’ll adore each moment of it. All things considered, possibly few out of every odd moment however close.
20. Congrats! You are setting out on an 18-year experience where you make up the tenets as you go. Presently, isn’t that good times?
21. This is it. The expectation is finished; you presently recognize what your DNA soup can release unto this world. Get ready for the joyful cycle of encouraging, cleaning and shaking this sweet newborn child to rest. Congrats!
22. Congrats, your trip of disclosure has started. This infant will give answers to questions you never thought to inquire.
23. Since you’ve satisfied your part in the immense Circle of Life, prepare to confront the results: absence of rest, loss of security, and a deficient supply of clean garments. Congrats!
24. This is astonishing news; congrats on the introduction of your first kid. This child will top off those unfilled spaces throughout your life you didn’t know you had.
25. Congrats astonished mother and father! I would prefer not to pierce your cheerful air pocket, however that infant will take up a large portion of your opportunity, vitality, and persistence for the following 18 years. It will be the experience of a lifetime; I promise it.
26. Congrats to you and your excellent dear baby! Best wishes for the healthier baby in the coming days.
27. Congrats to you both on the sheltered landing of your new infant young kid.
28. Congrats and good luck. You will be extraordinary guardians!
29. A delightful infant has come to fill your lives with happiness and ecstasy, may all the valuable little minutes constantly warm your heart.
30. Can’t trust nine months have passed? Time truly flies. Heard your infant is conceived. Congratulations! I would drop in one week from now to see your infant kid, may you have numerous long periods of mind boggling child rearing.
31. Well done on your new conceived child! You child looks extremely delightful. Welcome to the universe of child rearing. This part will be altogether different from every single other part you have taken up until now. It might challenge however compensating too.
32. Well done! You are presently setting out on an enterprise called parenthood. Make the most of your outing and God favor.
33. Just observed on your Facebook profile that you respected your little one. Well done! Presently on, your life would be braver and energize. You may even esteem your child’s rest time. Make the most of your adventure, pal!
34. Congrats on your first infant! My desires are with you and your family. It will be a bold trip and you’ll appreciate each moment of it.
35. Congratulations! Welcome to this world, O Little Baby! I am certain that this infant will influence your fantasies to work out the multi-day, may your little one have flawless innings in this world.
36. Cheers to you and your developing family. The little one will light up your life. Well done and Happy Parenting!
37. Finally, your little holy messenger has arrived. Congrats, may his life be loaded with plentiful euphoria and satisfaction.
38. The coolest thing you can have in this world is your infant. Congratulations, may your little one develop in comprehension, intelligence and information all around. God favor!
39. Another stage in your life. Well done! You are a mother now. Appreciate this trip as just a few in this world is honored to have a delightful little girl.
40. Heard you got twins. Well done for the twofold endowments that you got. I trust all goes well and the delight and harmony of the family additionally increases in twofold extent.
41. Congrats to the unseasoned parents! Your child is really lovable. Presently, you are on a phase and you are the players on this stage. This part can be extreme on occasion, yet it is fun in the meantime. All the best!
42. His Royal Cuteness is staggeringly adorable. Congrats, on being a parent.
43. Lovable is the word for your little one. This little toothless person has my heart for the long haul. Congrats and favors.
44. At the point when the child grins you will overlook every one of your distresses and grasp the delight, the little package carries with him. All the best to every one of you.
45. Alongside your child, you likewise develop. Say goodbye to couple days and glad diapering colleagues.
46. Such an extensive amount of sweetness in one great child. I wish this sweet little princess an enchanting ever after. God favor.
47. Congrats to the new Mamma and Papa. The child is simply charming. God bless a lot of happiness in your family.
48. The child has got all the appeal of Daddy dearest and all the excellence of Mamma sweetheart.
49. Sweetness represented and boundless charm. Blend the two and what you will get is an infant who’s much the same as both of you. Congrats for the lovable munchkins.
50. Congrats to a lifetime of getting paid back in affection laughs and twinkling eyes. Congrats to parenthood.
Becoming a Father for the First Time Quotes, Becoming a mom for the First Time Quotes, Becoming Parents for the First Time Quotes, Being Father for the First Time Quotes, Congrats to First-Time Parents, Congratulation Message to Father for NewBorn Baby, Congratulation to Father for NewBorn Baby, Congratulations Images, Congratulations Message Parents Newborn Baby Girl, Congratulations Message to First Time Parents, Congratulations Message to New Parents, Congratulations Messages for New Born Baby from Grandparents, Congratulations Messages for Newly Born Baby, Congratulations Messages Parents Newborn Baby Boy, Congratulations on Becoming First Time Parents, Congratulations Quotes for First Time Parents, Congratulations to First Time Parents, Congratulations to Newborn Baby Girl Message, Congratulations to Parents for NewBorn Baby, First Time became Father Quotes, First Time Becoming a Father Quotes, Free Congratulations Images, New Baby Congratulations Card Message, New Baby Congratulations Message From Company, New Baby Congratulations Wishes Message, Newborn Baby Boy Congratulations Message, NewBorn Baby Congratulations Messages and Wishes, Newborn Greeting Card Message
We've rounded up some tips and 15 short literary quotes for babies who are other congratulatory missive for the parents-to-be, but what do you write in the book itself? Wishes for bedtime – baby shower book inscription.