Enjoy the best Buddha Quotes at BrainyQuote. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and.
Little is known about the life of Buddha.
Historians believe he was born Prince Siddhartha Gautama in the 5th or 6th Century BC in Nepal. In his 20s, the prince experienced realities of the outside world that led him on a quest for enlightenment. He left the palace to search for it and eventually attained enlightenment.
It was then that he became Buddha.
Until he died at the age of 80, Buddha taught many people how to achieve enlightenment. His doctrines eventually became what is known as Buddhism.
The following 108 Buddha quotes embody the spiritual leader’s emphasis on compassion, peace and happiness.
“It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you.” -Buddha
“If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.”
“Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the oceans depth are calm.”
“I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.”
“You only lose what you cling to.”
“The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.”
“The trouble is, you think you have time.”
“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
“The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.”
“Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.”
“To abstain from lying is essentially wholesome.”
“Avoid evil deeds as a man who loves life avoids poison.”
“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
“What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.”
“There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.”
“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
“If a man’s thoughts are muddy, If he is reckless and full of deceit, How can he wear the yellow robe? Whoever is master of his own nature, Bright, clear and true, He may indeed wear the yellow robe.”
“Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.”
“For soon the body is discarded, Then what does it feel? A useless log of wood, it lies on the ground, Then what does it know? Your worst enemy cannot harm you As much as your own thoughts, unguarded. But once mastered, No one can help you as much, Not even your father or your mother.”
“One should strive to understand what underlies sufferings and diseases – and aim for health and well-being while gaining in the path.”
“If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key.”
“Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.” -Buddha
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
“Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”
“There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it. ”
“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.”
“The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.”
“Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.”
“The root of suffering is attachment.”
“You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.”
“The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”
“Purity or impurity depends on oneself. No one can purify another.”
“However many holy words you read, However many you speak, What good will they do you If you do not act on upon them?”
“If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change. ”
“Those who have failed to work toward the truth have missed the purpose of living.”
“In separateness lies the world’s greatest misery; in compassion lies the world’s true strength.”
“If you find no one to support you on the spiritual path, walk alone. There is no companionship with the immature.”
“Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”
“However many holy words you read, However many you speak, What good will they do you If you do not act on upon them?”
“All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?”
“It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.”
“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
“There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind.”
“Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts.”
“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.”
“Wear your ego like a loose fitting garment.”
“People with opinions just go around bothering one another.”
“Speak or act with an impure mind and trouble will follow you.”
“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.”
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. ”
“To keep the body in good health is a duty…otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear”
“There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills. ”
“If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.”
“Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.”
“A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but is he peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.”
“Even as a solid rock is unshaken by the wind, so are the wise unshaken by praise or blame.”
“It is better to travel well than to arrive.”
“A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.”
“Remembering a wrong is like carrying a burden on the mind.”
“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
“Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.”
“Nothing is permanent.”
“A jug fills drop by drop.”
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
“There isn’t enough darkness in all the world to snuff out the light of one little candle.”
“Imagine that every person in the world is enlightened but you. They are all your teachers, each doing just the right things to help you.”
“Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.”
“An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.”
“Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.”
“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
“If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart.”
“On life’s journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.”
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
“There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
“It is ridiculous to think that somebody else can make you happy or unhappy.”
“Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.”
“A disciplined mind brings happiness.”
“Happiness is not having a lot. Happiness is giving a lot.”
“Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
“He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.”
“Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”
“You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.”
“True love is born from understanding.”
“If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.”
“The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart. ”
“Truth is the same always. Whoever ponders it will get the same answer. Buddha got it. Patanjali got it. Jesus got it. Mohammed got it. The answer is the same, but the method of working it out may vary this way or that.” Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras
“I guess if I had to pick a spiritual figurehead to possess the deed to the entirety of Earth, I’d go with Buddha, but only because he wouldn’t want it.” Sarah Vowell, Unfamiliar Fishes
“The words of the Buddha offer this truth: ∼ Hatred never ceases by hatred but by love alone is healed.” Jack Kornfield, The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
“In Buddha’s opinion, to train in staying open and curious—to train in dissolving our assumptions and beliefs—is the best use of our human lives.” Pema Chödrön, The Pocket Pema Chodron
“The path of awakening begins with a step the Buddha called right understanding.” Jack Kornfield, Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation
Buddha’s spiritual words resonate with all humans, teaching tolerance and love. I hope these famous Buddha quotes bring you inner peace and your own personal enlightenment.
“As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.” -Buddha
“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.” -Buddha
“Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.” -Buddha
“Your body is precious. It is our vehicle for awakening. Treat it with care.” -Buddha
“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again and you will be filled with joy.” -Buddha
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -Buddha
“If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.” -Buddha
“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.” -Buddha
“To understand everything is to forgive everything.” -Buddha
“In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?” -Buddha
“Pain is certain, suffering is optional.” -Buddha
“One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world.” -Buddha
“If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking.” -Buddha
“Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.” -Buddha
“When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.” -Buddha
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” -Buddha
“Love is a gift of one’s inner most soul to another so both can be whole.” -Buddha
Tags:Buddha QuotesBuddhismlife lessonsmotivationQuotes
— Hannah Hutyra
Buddha Quotes - 365 Days of Inspirational Quotes and Sayings in Buddhism Length: 387 pages, Word Wise: Enabled, Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled.
Quotes Directory >> Buddha Quotes and Insightful Sayings
Buddha was born as prince Siddhartha Gautama, in northern India, in a place, which now is part of Nepal. His exact lifetime is uncertain, but most historians date his lifetime from 563 BC to 483 BC.
The meaning of the word Buddha is "The Enlightened One", or "The Awakened One", and refers to one who has become enlightened.
1. "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."
2. "You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind."
3. "Inward calm cannot be maintained unless physical strength is constantly and intelligently replenished."
4. "Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind."
5. "Those who have destroyed the roots of jealousy have peace of mind always."
6. "Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace."
7. "A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but is he peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise."
8. "Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom."
9. "Meditate. Live purely. Be quiet. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine."
10. "If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key."
Buddha Quotes on Life
11. "Let a man avoid evil deeds as a man who loves life avoids poison."
12. "Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened."
13. "If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."
14. "It is better to do nothing, than to do what is wrong. For whatever you do, you do to yourself."
15. "One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world."
16. "Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed."
17. "Be where you are; otherwise you will miss your life."
18. "However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them."
19. Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
Buddha Quotes on Happiness
20. "If a man who enjoys a lesser happiness beholds a greater one, let him leave aside the lesser to gain the greater."
21. "There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path."
22. "Happiness never decreases by being shared."
23. "Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
24. "Happiness comes when your work and words are of benefit to yourself and others."
Buddha Quotes on the Mind and Thinking
25. "There is nothing so disobedient as an undisciplined mind, and there is nothing so obedient as a disciplined mind."
26. "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."
27. "What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow. Our life is the creation of our mind."
28. "In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true."
29. "The mind is the source of happiness and unhappiness."
30. "As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts."
31. "To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him."
32. "Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
33. "The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit. And the habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care. And let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings."
34. "A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden."
35. "Make your mind pure as a silversmith blows away the impurities of silver, little by little, instant by instant."
Buddha Quotes on Wisdom
36. "Through zeal, knowledge is gotten; through lack of zeal, knowledge is lost."
37. "One is not wise because he talks a good deal. They are wise who are patient, and free from hate and fear."
38. "Being deeply learned and skilled, being well-trained and using well-spoken words, this is good luck."
39. "Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide."
40. "Carpenters bend wood fletchers bend arrows; wise men fashion themselves."
41. "I reached in experience the nirvana which is unborn, unrivalled, secure from attachment, undecaying and unstained. This condition is indeed reached by me which is deep, difficult to see, difficult to understand, tranquil, excellent, beyond the reach of mere logic, subtle, and to be realized only by the wise."
42. "He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye."
43. "Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life."
44. "All know the Way, but few actually walk it."
45. "Be a lamp unto yourself."
46. "A man should first direct himself in the way he should go. Only then should he instruct others."
47. "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
48. "We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them."
49. "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."
50. "The way is not in the sky. The Way is in the heart."
51. "On a long journey of human life, faith is the best of companions; it is the best refreshment on the journey; and it is the greatest property."
Quotes Directory >> Buddha Quotes
Click on the link below to read more quotes:
More Buddha Quotes and Wise Sayings
Emotional Detachment for Happier Life
Learn to stop taking things personally and getting upset by what people say or do.
Emotional detachment techniques to help you let go of worries and negative thoughts, and deal calmly with upsetting situations and stressful people.
Follow Us on: Facebook Twitter Instagram
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
If you enjoyed reading this article, sign up to receive our free newsletter with articles and updates.
Historians believe Prince Siddhartha Gautama was born in the 5th or 6th Century BC in Nepal. In his 20s, the prince experienced realities of the outside world that led him on a quest for enlightenment. He left the palace to search for it and eventually attained enlightenment.
It was then that he became Buddha. Gautama Buddha quotes have the power to show us how he attracted a following and dedicated the rest of his life teaching the path of enlightenment and awakening to them.
“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” – Buddha tweet
“When you like a flower, you just pluck it. But when you love a flower, you water it daily.” – Buddha tweet
“In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?” – Buddha tweet
“It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you.” – Buddha tweet
“The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There’s only one moment for you to live.” – Buddha tweet
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” – Buddha tweet
“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” – Buddha tweet
Buddha quotes and sayings on compassion, patience, good and bad, anger and love. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
Gautama Buddha, the enlightened being, the founder of Buddhism, has been a guiding light for thousands of people who seek peace.